1997 Dodge Dakota SLT Club Cab 4x4 3.9L V6 Magnum from North America

Summary:

Excellent Truck!

Front brake pads wore down at around 130,000 miles.

Air conditioning compressor went out at 150,000 miles.

MAP sensors and fuel injectors dirty at around 170,000 miles. Truck would not idle, but could be driven if you reved it to 3,000 and were fast enough to put it in gear, step on the gas and pull out. Dealer cleaned them and runs like new.

Transmission would not shift from 3rd to 4th at about 173,000 miles. Engine would red line at 5200 and still not shift unless you let off the gas. Was two quarts low on transmission fluid. Shifts perfect now.

Lost power steering at 175,350 miles when doing a donut in the snow.

Gas mileage kind of sucks.

General Comments:

This truck has never let me down and runs pretty much just as good as it was new. It can haul from 0-40 and from 55 to 80 without a sweat (a bit slower from 40 to 50) and keeps steadily accelerating from 80 to 100. There has to be more power under the hood than just 175 hp and 225 lb-ft of torque stock. Sounds great at 3000 RPM.

There is some rust on the lower passenger door, but you really have to look close to see it.

The truck can handle pretty good for its size.

The interior is pretty full of plastic and all business, but who cares. It's a truck, not a Mercedes. You don't need a plush and posh interior in a truck and is very easy to clean.

Seats are nice and are pretty supportive.

The Infinity premium sound system has incredible power and clarity. If you have the stock cassette receiver with the Infinity system, get a CD receiver as the sound improves dramatically!

The Dodge can take a beating and keeps going very strong.

The trucks paint does not hint that it is 7 years old. The body and paint look brand new.

I definitely recommend a Dakota.

Review Date: 3rd February, 2004

1997 Dodge Dakota Sport 5.2 Liter V8 from North America

Summary:

More truck for your buck!

I have not had any problems with my truck at this time.

General Comments:

My truck is a 4X4, with a 5.2 liter V-8, and a (5) five speed manual transmission. This truck out-performs all other trucks in its class, especially towing (on or off road). There is proof on paper, read it yourself.

I can't tell you they are all the same, but if anyone has half the truck I have, they would agree we got our money's worth.

As for performance, how about 0-60 in under 6 seconds, without any upgrades. Keep in mind this is a 4X4, with 32" off-road tires.

So how do I rate this truck on a scale from 1-10? I would give it a 12. As for ride and comfort? I would give it a 12. This is the best riding, and one of the most comfortable trucks I have ever owned.

I can't understand why people say they own a piece of junk, when after all, they test drove the thing. If they didn't like it, they should have bought something else (bar none).

Review Date: 15th December, 2003

1997 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 3.9 Liter from North America

Summary:

Besides gas efficient, Dodge Dakota is the perfect truck

The reclining part on the driver's seat will lean back without pulling the handle. Half the lights on the factory radio went out, shortly replaced with an Aiwa CD player. The exhaust rattles just a bit. And a small transmission leak. I'm about to change the transmission gasket.

General Comments:

My truck is beautiful. Dark Metallic red, 31X10.50 BF Good-wrench tires. Dual exhaust, tinted windows, and definatly a 4X4.

Inside is extremely comfortable and spacious.

It will tow up to 5100 pounds with towing package.

The top speed is bad, and bad acceleration on the interstate.

My truck is a gas guzzler, I get 13.5 miles per gallon, if I'm lucky 14. When I pull my small boat, I get 11 MPG. So if you are looking for a gas efficient car, this is not it, but if you are looking for a GREAT all around car, looks, performance, comfortability, 4X4, this is definitely a great choice.

The next car that I own will hopefully be a Dodge Dakota 4X4, but will upgrade to the V8.

Review Date: 11th September, 2003