1997 Dodge Dakota Sport 318 from North America

Summary:

My truck has been great to me

The paint is peeling off started about 4 months ago.

General Comments:

This truck has been great!!! The only things I have had to do to it were; brakes, and a Battery.

Review Date: 21st May, 2003

1997 Dodge Dakota Sport 3.9L from North America

Air conditioning leak @ 90000km caused my carpet to mold.

Rear diff needed to be re-built @ 95000k.

Front bumper started to rust @ 95000k and was replaced @ 100000K.

Rotors were replaced @ 110000.

Throttle position sensor replaced @ 120000k.

General Comments:

I have the short box, reg cab. A very nice looking truck.

I am told that most of the problem that I have experienced are all very common. Hopefully dodge works these out because I do like this truck.

Review Date: 26th April, 2003

1997 Dodge Dakota Sport 3.9 litre V6 from North America

Summary:

A tire-burning bomb

A fog light blew a bulb at 39944, and the rear tires burned off for some reason.

General Comments:

The truck handles great and is very powerful, but could have a higher top speed. The seats are very good, but could be better. Not much room inside, but it is still cool.

Review Date: 14th February, 2003

1997 Dodge Dakota SLS 3.9 Liter V6 from North America

Summary:

Never judge a book by it's cover

Has a stalling problem, and check engine light keeps coming on. Had it back to dealer 3 times under warranty, each time dealer stated "checked codes, could find no problems. After warranty, over 3 years, but only 32,000 miles took it back for same problem, dealer charged me $351.00 to check out and wanted $305.00 more to install 2 sensors, or would not guarantee repair.

Water Pump leaking AT 34,000 Miles, 2 months out of 3 yr warranty.

Ball Joints required for state inspection at 35,000 miles.

General Comments:

Very good looking truck.

Paint and Finish has held up very well for a truck 6 years old. Only has 35,000 miles on, but is not kept under roof.

Inside like new.

Review Date: 14th January, 2003

1997 Dodge Dakota Sport 3.9 from North America

Summary:

Was a lemon from the start, and can't wait to pay it off so I can deal it in

Catalytic converter gone at 29000km.

Catalytic converter gone at 49000km.

Catalytic converter gone at 95000km.

Front bearings gone at 40000km.

Clutch fan replaced twice once at 32000 and second at 125000km.

Fourth catillic converter gone at 187000km and a mechanic discovered that a bolt was broken at the manifold to the engine and there was a 1/4" gap.

Now we are unable to keep it running and sill stall as soon as you take your foot off the gas.

General Comments:

The box is a whopping 8 foot and it will hold 2 motorcycles or a load of wood as we do a little woodworking business on the side.

The truck will boogie when it gets on an open highway.

Review Date: 22nd December, 2002

1997 Dodge Dakota Sport 5.2 V8 from North America

Summary:

Mine was a lemon

I had to replace the brakes 3 times in 50,000 miles.

U-joint replaced at 30,000 miles.

I repainted the front bumper every year.

Transmission was going bad when I traded it in.

General Comments:

The V8 pulled pretty good.

I do believe the truck was a lemon.

Nice looks.

Owned other Dakotas with the V8 4wd setup and never had a problem.

Review Date: 18th January, 2002

1997 Dodge Dakota Sport 4x4 5.2 from North America

Summary:

Fine!

Steering column.

Paint peeled off the front bumper.

Catalytic converter went out.

Rear differential.

Lighter.

2 factory recalls.

General Comments:

I love this truck, it looks great and never left me stranded, but it's starting to cost for upkeep since the warranty is up, so it's time for a new Ford F-150 4x4.

Review Date: 12th May, 2001

9th Dec 2003, 11:11

I own a 1997,v-8, Dodge Dakota. I love the way the car looks & the way it drives. This is the first American made car I have purchased in 30 years & it will probably be the last.

At 40,000 miles I had major carburetor problems, which cost me big bucks & now at 77,000 miles I am having to have upper & lower ball joints replaced on the truck's front end. I am extremely concerned about what's next.

9th Dec 2003, 11:52

Carburetor?!?! On a 1997? Doesn't that seem a bit odd to you?

Automakers stopped using carburetors arounds 1983 and up.. The frequently need tuneups, repairs, and just aren't fuel-efficent..

6th Jul 2004, 15:24

If you think your truck has a carburetor, I question anything you say because you have no idea what you're talking about. Welcome to the 21st century!

20th Jun 2011, 10:53

Jeep used carburetors up until 1990, GM also used them on their Jimmy/Blazer/S10/S15s until the mid to late 80s.

A 1997 would be fuel injected so it has a throttle body on top of the motor. This can be confused for/referred to as a carburetor if you're not a car person and understand how carburetors and fuel injection systems work.