1997 Dodge Dakota Reviews - Page 7 of 7

1997 Dodge Dakota 4x4 Club Cab 5.2 318 V8 from North America

Engine and transmission 5.2 318 V8 Manual
Previous carFord Thunderbird

Summary:

A four wheeler's dream and a chick magnet

The only things that have gone wrong with my truck are the water pump after 60,000 miles and my constant velocity joint was tweaked due to off road activities.

One other thing happened. The adapter bracket on the brake system broke off, also due to playing in the dirt.

General Comments:

All and all I can't say enough good things about my truck. I love it. The large engine provides more than enough power for any four wheeling adventure.

This truck turns a lot of heads due to about 7 inches of lift and 35 inch mud tires. Because of the tires and the lift the ride suffers and so does my gas mileage, but for what I do with it, it is well worth it. I would recommend this truck anyone.

Review Date: 22nd April, 2001

1997 Dodge Dakota Sport 3.9 V6 from North America

First year of ownership1997
Most recent year of ownership2000
Engine and transmission 3.9 V6 Automatic
Previous carMazda B2200

Summary:

Good looking but don't judge a book by its cover

Power rack went 2 times, fixed under warranty.

Dash vent stopped working - heat or A/C.

Brake rotors on the front warped 3 times.

The plug for the block heater blew out of the side of the engine block at highway speed.

The cup holder blew apart into about 10 pieces.

General Comments:

The transmission does not have a firm up shift for a truck, it also won't go into overdrive on cold mornings until it "warmed up". My gas mileage suffered because of this.

The motor didn't have enough grunt to pull anything let alone get the truck down the road. Guess I should have got a V8.

Review Date: 5th April, 2001

2nd Jun 2001, 07:55

Lets see, the guy has a piece of crap as he called it, yet he kept it for more then 3 years, yeah right. If it was as bad as he says it is, he should have got rid of it.

5th Jun 2001, 01:47

The reason why I had the truck for three years was because I leased it as a work truck. I could not afford to break the lease at the time. All repairs were done under warranty, it was just a pain to have the truck in the shop when it should have been out working.

1st Jul 2001, 10:19

98 Dodge Dakota 99k+miles. Broken light switch. What more could you ask for?

18th Aug 2001, 20:42

I love my Dakota. Broken oxygen sensor, but welcome to the world of oxygen sensors (4 cars, 4 oxygen sensors).

Anyway, I had a little ping problem that went away after a warranty trip, and mid grade gas.

This truck is no speed demon, but if I wanted that, I would have bought a Viper. Too bad they can't tow.

Love the truck, very reliable.

1997 Dodge Dakota Sport 5.2 V-8 from North America

First year of ownership1999
Most recent year of ownership2001
Engine and transmission 5.2 V-8 Automatic
Previous carChrysler Newport Convertible

Summary:

Great truck

The only problem I had with my Dakota was that it would not run when the battery was low. All it needed was a new battery and the thing has been perfect.

General Comments:

This truck has been great. It has over 124000 miles on it and has not needed anything but TLC. The only things that have needed to be replaced were the brakes and a couple sets of rubber. If it was only better on gas it would be a gem.

Review Date: 25th March, 2001

23rd May 2008, 21:56

Mine has 160000 and I think the motor is just getting broken in. Magnum motors are bulletproof and will last a long time as long as you take care of them. But with gas hitting the $4 mark I may have to downsize : (

1997 Dodge Dakota from North America

Engine and transmission

Nothing, my boyfriend drives this truck very hard. It has 40,000 miles on it, part of which has come from mud slinging and spinning the positraction. He has changed the oil a lot. It is hard to do and he has changed the spark plugs a few times. It gets about 13 miles to the gallon but he drives fast.

General Comments:

The best truck in the world. Better than Chevy's and Ford's. Lots of cab room. Nice interior and durable.

Buy one for yourself!