1997 Dodge Dakota Reviews - Page 4 of 7

1997 Dodge Dakota Sport 3.9 V6 from North America

Model year1997
Engine and transmission 3.9 V6 Automatic
Previous carFord Taurus

Summary:

Awsome.

Well when I got it, it was making a rattling noise, got it checked out, was the timing chain, now rattling is gone, and little hose no bigger than your finger, was rotten, was free to replace.

General Comments:

I love it, it has good passing power, the pedal is weird you think your flooring it, but you're not theres more room to push it, its weird lol, well it's a great overall truck and dodge will be seeing me int he future.

Review Date: 14th April, 2006

1997 Dodge Dakota Club cab sport 4wd 3.9 V6 from North America

First year of ownership1997
Engine and transmission 3.9 V6 Manual
Previous carDodge D250

Summary:

I have enjoyed this truck from the day I bought it, and recommend it to anyone

Rear differential pinion shaft bearing had to be replaced at 120,000 km.

Clutch fan assembly under warranty at 55,000 km.

Console hinge trim cover replaced under warranty.

Lower ball joints at 60,000 km. under warranty.

General Comments:

A good reliable truck that we feel we can always depend on.

Gas mileage is less than spectacular, but it's a truck that tows our boat with no problems.

The four wheel drive system works flawlessly at 10 or 100 km/h.

Comfortable and solid feeling.

Great paint, except front steel bumper

Review Date: 16th February, 2005

1997 Dodge Dakota SLT 3.9 V6 from North America

Model year1997
Engine and transmission 3.9 V6 Automatic
Previous carDodge Raider

Summary:

Super Dependable

I replaced the catalytic converter (180 bucks) at 125k miles and also the Oxygen sensor (90 bucks) at the same time. I replaced the brakes and plugs and wires. Also the gear shift knob kinda fell off. So overdrive does not work, which doesn't matter b/c I never use it anyway.

General Comments:

This vehicle has been super dependable. It starts very easily. Great cab room. 4X4 works very well when I used it in the snow. I pulled several people out of ditches in the snow. One thing I do not understand is why Dodge made the V6 engine a 4 speed. Because of that, I get 14-16 miles a gallon, and it does not accelerate very well on the interstate. But I still love my truck, although I need to get a more fuel efficient vehicle so if anyone is interested I will be selling it for around $7,000 as of November 14, 2004 My cell is 864-915-4281 if anyone is interested.

Review Date: 14th November, 2004

14th Nov 2004, 20:20

Part of the reason why your mileage is so bad is because you haven't fixed the Overdrive button... Get the Overdrive working and your MPG will definitely improve.

1997 Dodge Dakota Sport 5.2 from North America

Previous carChevrolet Silverado

Summary:

Very useful truck for the money

The A/C went out on my truck, costed me around $500 to repair.

General Comments:

This truck handles like a car.

Very quick, although I've made a few modifications to keep it running a little faster than the average truck.

The truck has handled the NOS very well!

I used to go off roading in my truck before it was lowered, and it was excellent, never got stuck!

The back bed is very spacious, and can be very useful.

I have a 20 foot boat, in which this truck tows easily.

Review Date: 4th May, 2004

1997 Dodge Dakota Sport from North America

Year of manufacture1997

Summary:

Fun to look at, Not fun to drive

In little more than half a year I have had to fix the:

- Stereo System Speakers (Wire was crossed and sound quality was horrendous)

- Heater Thermometer (Only got cold air and for a New England Winter Weather, it wasn't fun)

- Exhaust (Loud and let off more fumes than a hippie)

- Odometer Lights (while I was driving they decided to break and I was given the task of driving home and guessing my speed)

- Glove Compartment (Got stuck and never opened)

- Lighter (stopped working.. I don't smoke, but nonetheless it doens't work anymore..)

Door to the Bed of Truck - (While carrying a few cement block as I barely accelerated the slid back and knocked off the door. Thank god there wasnt anyone behind me or there would have been some bad news)

Brake line blew and I got to drive home with brakes that worked by slamming them on 3 miles away from where you wanted to stop.. Great fun there...

Theres probaably more minor things that's gone wrong, but I can't remember them..

General Comments:

It's a flashy sport truck (Best in Red) that has a comfortable interior and smooth controls. It can get some good speed, but If your looking for power, Look elsewhere.

For a truck I must admit you'd have a better shot towing and 4- wheeling with a golf cart.. She slides out of control on a small patches of ice and It can get itself stuck in 1/2 of Mud..

Beats walking though :P.

Review Date: 13th April, 2004

6th Jul 2004, 15:33

Odometer lights "broke"? "Door" on bed of truck? You had to "slam" on the brakes to stop after the lines "blew"? Sorry, but you sound like a serious "idiot"! The "door" on your bed and "broken" dash lights I can deal with, but if your brake lines "blew", slamming on the brakes would not stop your vehicle in any distance. You truck has 130,000+ miles, deal with it.

2nd Nov 2010, 12:33

Dude, seriously. It's a 97. Common maintenance would have taken care of everything. I have a 97, they have small issues, but they aren't as bad a truck as you make them out to be.

10th Feb 2011, 01:19

I just bought one! Woohoo! 4x4 V8 baby!

13th Jan 2014, 20:48

You obviously didn't have the right tires on the truck if you slide on ice and get stuck in 1/2 inch mud. I've gone through three feet of snow with no problem, and towed an 06 Ram 1500 that was stuck in a foot of mud.