1997 Dodge Dakota Reviews

1997 Dodge Dakota 2WD 2.5 from North America

Year of manufacture1996
Most recent year of ownership2014

Summary:

Reliable and dependable piece of good ol American truck

Fuel pump went at 27000 miles while driving at 70mph in the passing lane.

Seat covers were replaced 3 times under warranty; the problem was there is no padding over the hinge. Now I use a thin cushion and I am fine.

Replaced clutch at 150000 miles just because I did long distance hauling.

Water pump went at 185000 miles, and then again after just 49000 with the aftermarket pump.

Starter went at 265000 miles.

Radiator fins started rotting off at around 190000 miles.

Front wheel bearings finally giving out at 284000 miles.

Original muffler replaced at 104000 miles, and have had 4 more since.

Replaced all the brake lines, as they rotted out.

Very little rust, with hardly ever washing or waxing it.

Still have the original alternator, and only on the 3rd battery.

Changed the oil every 3-4000 miles, and now add oil additives.

I get around 23 MPG highway and 19-20 MPG city.

Distributor went, causing an exhaust manifold crack. Found out you don't need to put a gasket on the manifold, and have had no problem since.

General Comments:

My truck may not be fast, but it gets me where I need to go. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles like power anything, except steering; just normal maintenance and less than $1500 to maintain.

Review Date: 19th June, 2014

1997 Dodge Dakota from North America

Year of manufacture1996
Most recent year of ownership2014

Summary:

Great work truck

Normal wear and tear.

General Comments:

This has been the best truck I have had yet.

The only thing I changed is that I put an access panel in the bed of the truck so I would not have to drop the fuel tank to change the fuel pump. Change the pump every 100k or you'll get stuck on the side of the road. On a long road trip, I carry my spare from the last one I took out.

Review Date: 24th March, 2014

1997 Dodge Dakota Sport 5.2 318 ci from North America

Year of manufacture1997
First year of ownership2009
Most recent year of ownership2012
Engine and transmission 5.2 318 ci Automatic
Most recent distance203000 miles
Previous carDodge Dakota

Summary:

Great pickup truck... I'd get another one!

Fuel pump and tank straps at 195,000 miles.

Timing seal, timing chain, and water pump at 195,000.

Steering shaft (lower) at 182,000 (common problem).

Not the best on gas; 13-18 MPG.

Rear spring shackles at 185,000.

General Comments:

Very dependable Dakota extra cab 4x4 5.2 automatic. Was one owner, and garaged and well taken care of.

Rust is a small issue, but typical with a vehicle this old and in the snowbelt area.

4x4 works great. Interior holds up well.

Parts are somewhat reasonable.

Getting new tires today; 31x105x15.

Review Date: 24th August, 2012

1997 Dodge Dakota Sport - Club Cab 5.2L V8 (318 C.I.D.) from North America

Year of manufacture1997
Most recent year of ownership2011
Engine and transmission 5.2L V8 (318 C.I.D.) Automatic

Summary:

This Dakota is everything I need, and extremely reliable and always ready to jump up and go

Nothing mechanically major... EVER!!!

Water pump replaced around 213,000 miles. Came to find out it wasn't the water pump, but a hose, but replaced it anyway.

Boots around 165,000 miles.

Had the entire truck re-painted at around 210,000 miles (most expensive thing so far), due to peeling, which is always going to happen on a Chrysler product around that generation.

Original CD player is finally beginning to give out, but is still operable.

General Comments:

I purchased this truck in summer of '97, just wanting a truck. I have not regretted it ever!

I have drove this truck just about every day since I bought it, have taken it on many trips over 1,000 miles, towed with it, used the 4X4 non-stop for over 250 miles one winter during a blizzard in Colorado, & it performed perfectly the way I wanted it to.

The 4X4 system is awesome! It always shifts right into and out of 4X4 & 2 hi without any delays, or problems.

I have never had to turn the key for more than 1 or 2 seconds, nor has the truck ever left me stranded anywhere.

The interior is still in near perfect condition; only thing is the power window/lock switch cluster on the driver's door pops off sometimes, & the CD player sometimes needs help when ejecting a CD, but I never expected a factory stereo to last as long as this one has lasted me... I am waiting for it to just die off completely, so I can install a new deck.

The seats show no signs of wear what so ever (maybe because anytime I spill anything, I clean it right away), the panels, and dash are in near new condition.

The 5.2L V-8 is a huge plus for me; it has been very reliable, and has more than plenty of power for what I use it for. Averages 15 city MPG, and 20 MPG highway.

My only complaint, which is very small, is the front seat cup-holders are a joke, will not hold anything, so I always make sure it is in a bottle, so if it falls, it will not spill.

I LOVE my Dakota! I will never trade it for anything else! After owning Chevrolet's, and Ford's that lasted me about 6 years at most, I have owned one Dodge Dakota for about 14 years, & have had minimal problems. Maybe it is the way that I take care of the truck, I always am precise with oil changes, transmission flushes, and differential service, that has made it so reliable, or just luck. I only use midgrade or higher gasoline, & use Valvoline 10W30 high mileage motor oil, and change it every 3,000 miles. There have been a few times I have gone 7,000 miles on a few oil changes.

Review Date: 1st November, 2011