2001 Dodge Durango SLX 4.7 V8 from North America

Summary:

A dependable all around vehicle for a family, or someone who camps and carries lot of gear

Small head gasket leak at 105,000 miles; still drivable under 50 miles distance before overheating.

O2 sensor at 94,000 and 112,000 miles.

Driver's side window motor replaced at 80,000 miles.

Tires last about 40,000 miles with lots of dirt roads.

Classic body styling still looks good, and the paint is tough, still shiny.

General Comments:

This is the best vehicle I have ever owned. The 4.7 V8 is a good small V8 and runs strong all day, cruising at 70 - 80 mph. 20 MPG on the highway at reasonable speeds and cruise control.

The head gasket problem happened when it overheated and I was out in the middle of nowhere. Partly my fault for not checking the coolant regularly. Aluminum heads warp when hot!

The ride and handling are very comfortable around town, on the highway, and on dirt roads. Mine is a 2 wheel drive, so no hard core off-roading, but it has been on lots of camping trips.

Review Date: 19th March, 2013

2001 Dodge Durango SLT Plus 4.7 from North America

Summary:

Would buy this vehicle all over again in a heartbeat!!!

Power steering pump at 140,000.

Oil pan at 155,000 miles.

Clock spring in steering wheel at 158,000.

Sides of front seats show wear from people's butts sliding out.

Regular wear & tear items for an SUV with 160,000+.

General Comments:

After a lot of research (it got better gas mileage than V-8s & some V-6s, & more power than the V-6s in its class), my wife & I purchased our 2001 Durango SLT+ from a local small dealer in 2003 after it was returned from its lease from a local family. It has all the bells & whistles, & we haven't looked back since, and have loved driving it in complete comfort to Orlando, Myrtle Beach, Ocean City (both of them), Williamsburg, Pocono Mountains and various other vacations, not to mention driving back and forth to our daughter's college, a 7 hour round trip twice a month for 3.5 years.

The 4.7L V-8 is a great engine and perhaps one of Dodge's best ever. It averages about 14.8 around town and has gotten as high as 20+ on the interstates according to its on board computer. I've even used it as a recovery vehicle to pull friends out of bad situations (thank god for V-8 power and good set of A/T tires I installed).

As tacky as it sounds, but being very truthful, my family loves this vehicle as much as any person can, and I'm not sure I'll be able to replace it when that dreadful time comes. Until then, I'll keep maintaining it as well as possible, and giving it a pat after it returns my family home safely from long trips or hazardous conditions.

Review Date: 14th February, 2013

2001 Dodge Durango SLT 4.7 V6 from North America

Summary:

Best SUV

I owned this car for six years, and had no problems. I did the regular maintenance, and only had to change the battery twice!

General Comments:

I loved this car! It was a great car. The V8 engine is extremely fast for such a heavy SUV. Very comfortable interior with a ton of room.

The third row seating is very tight, and only comfortable for small kids, but when you fold it down, you have a lot of room for hauling.

It was the best car I have owned at this point. It is also very safe. Unfortunately, my Durango was totaled in a bad accident, but I walked away this just bumps and bruises. I am currently looking for another to purchase.

Review Date: 30th November, 2010

2001 Dodge Durango Sport 4.9 from North America

Summary:

Don't buy, it's a money pit!!!

Windows parts break and window will not stay up.

A/C does not work very good, and Dodge can't figure it out, since the day I bought it.

Transmission failed.

Ball joints replaced twice.

Radiator needed to be replaced.

Heat in back seats stopped working.

Tail light wires melted to casing unit.

Had to replace battery the 1st month, and I bought it brand new from the dealer, after that about every year and a half.

A/C pump failing and making horrible noises.

Engine burns a quart of oil each week.

General Comments:

Expensive to maintain, I have paid almost the $12,000 in repairs, and only paid $26,000 when I bought it brand new from the dealer! All service maintenance was done timely, but it just kept breaking!

Loved the ride; it was very comfortable.

Review Date: 16th October, 2010