2001 Dodge Durango R/T 5.9 from North America

Summary:

The transmissions are junk!

This thing is a gas pig, but that's not the problem. I bought this thing with low miles on it (65,000), drove it only 2000 miles, and the torque converter and 3 sensors went out. I was just driving down the freeway and the overdrive went out. $1400 later I'm hoping that's it for a while. I'd only had the thing for 34 days before this happened. I can't afford any big problems.

General Comments:

This pig does have a lot of power, if you like putting the money out for fuel. The 5.9 R/T is not for everyone, but as long as it doesn't break down again for a while, I'm OK with it.

Review Date: 22nd August, 2010

2001 Dodge Durango SLT plus 4.7L V8 from North America

Summary:

Great vehicle!

Not much. As with any vehicle, wear and tear come with age. I've read reviews that say "good vehicle ONLY IF you maintain it". DUHHH!!!

General Comments:

This is my 3rd Durango 4x4. Great vehicle, especially for the money. I sell cars for the past 15 years, and I have owned 3 Durangos. They ride good, tow good, and look good.

Review Date: 19th August, 2010

2001 Dodge Durango RT 5.9 from North America

Summary:

Trans chewing, gas sucking, luxury

Replaced power steering pump at 120,000 miles.

Rebuilt trans at 133,000 (still slips).

Replaced driver's window motor at 130,000.

Front brake calipers locking up currently.

A/C only blows cold at speed 70,000.

General Comments:

The comfort is great!!!

Performance; I could stand to have a little more umph...

Handling, well I lowered mine 3 inches front and 4 in the rear, so that's great, but the ride sucks now...

The trans is my biggest complaint, oh and the 10-12 miles per gallon, and it only uses super unleaded at 3.00 dollars a gallon.

Review Date: 13th August, 2010

14th Aug 2010, 06:09

From Australia.

We are denied these great vehicles, so be grateful that you have them.

It seems that closer control of maintenance might help you. Don't go past 10,000 miles dealership service.

I drive a 19 year old Volvo V6, with 340,000 kms on it.

But!!! We take to the Volvo guy once per year! We pay whatever he says, but he keeps it going well.

Perhaps a close relationship with your competent Chrysler service guy would help.

James.

2001 Dodge Durango LX 5.7 Hemi from North America

Summary:

A piece of crap

Transmission had to be replaced at 130,000.

Radiator had to be replaced 110,000.

I have never been able to keep tires on it.

The alignment has always been off.

I have gone through so many batteries.

Alternator and starter.

Most of the hoses.

The running lights have never worked even after replacing the bulbs.

There have been so many repairs on this truck. The truck is in the shop about every 2 to 3 months for something major.

Now the ignition switch is not working; I can't turn my car on.

General Comments:

This car is the biggest piece of crap I have ever owned. I will never buy another Dodge again.

Review Date: 31st January, 2010

2001 Dodge Durango Sport 4.7 from North America

Summary:

Best car ever... Keep up regular maintenance!

I replaced the rack and pinion.

General Comments:

Best car I ever owned. All but one thing in repairs was regular maintenance.

The truck was just totaled in a no fault to myself accident. I am trying to find another one, but cannot find anything in as good as condition as mine.

Review Date: 20th November, 2009

2001 Dodge Durango R/T 5.9 from North America

Summary:

Will never buy Dodge again!

Transmission problems for the last two years.

First, the transmission got stuck on first gear. Took it in for repair, I honestly don't remember what the problem was, but I paid about $300 to get it fixed.

Second, the RPMs would fluctuate at all times. It didn't matter if I was doing 20 mph or 70 mph. The RPMs would rise 300 to 400 RPMs out of nowhere for about a second and then it'll go back down. Took it in for repair; they told me that the computer wasn't reading the third and fourth gear; $300 more!!

Once again, less than six months after the last time we had this problem, my wife took it in for pretty much the same thing. Only this time it was doing it between 50 mph & 70 mph. They told her again that the computer wasn't reading the fourth gear; $300 more!! And guess what, three months later and we're having the same problem. But this time, it happens at 70 mph.

Oh, and like most of you have mentioned, this truck has depreciated so much that it would be lose close to $4K if was to sell or trade it in.

One more thing, we're having electrical problems also.

General Comments:

This truck is turning out to be a nightmare! Preventive maintenance didn't do anything good to this truck. It got progressively worst as the time went by.

Review Date: 6th March, 2009