2001 Dodge Durango Reviews - Page 3 of 12

2001 Dodge Durango 4x4 SLT V8 4.7 from North America

Engine and transmission V8 4.7 Automatic
Distance when acquired120256 miles
Previous carNissan Maxima

Summary:

Wonderful car. Gotta have it

There is only one problem with the car. It is hard to bend down the seat for the second row, but that is all.

General Comments:

This car is the best choice a young person would take. I am 19 and I have had it for one year.

I love my Durango. It is big, fast, powerful, and looks nice. It has great room for my friends. Eight tall men can easily and comfortably fit on my car.

It is a very fast car and it is worth the price. I've had it for one year and it runs like my dad's 2008 Durango. Even though his Durango is newer, mine looks sporty and big. Very proud of my car.

Review Date: 8th January, 2009

2001 Dodge Durango SLT from North America

Previous carNissan Sentra

Dashboard and driver seat started to wear badly.

General Comments:

Comfortable to drive. Dealer not helpful at all.

When asked where you take the car to be fixed, nobody knows anything or try to find very. Customer service very bad.

Review Date: 10th September, 2008

2001 Dodge Durango SLT 4.7L V8 from North America

Engine and transmission 4.7L V8 Automatic
Previous carChrysler PT Cruiser

Summary:

A beast

Emissions problems, have all been covered by warranties.

Sensor in automatic transmission

Short in radio.

General Comments:

I love it.

I love having extra room.

I love not being in a dinky little car, with my safety at risk.

It is fast, nice and comfortable.

The 4x4 option is great!

Review Date: 29th August, 2008

2001 Dodge Durango 4.7 from North America

Distance when acquired120000 miles
Previous carDodge Junk

Summary:

I need it

When I try to take off, its takes a couple of seconds before it will pull off. My check engine light comes on and I have no power to take off, only when my light comes on and it does not stay on all the time. The main time that is stays off is when the fuil is above 1/2 tank.

When I use the brakes, my front turn signal light come on and will not go off till I let go of the brakes.

Aso this week I have something new, when I use the brake my radio, out side temp light, and clock will go dim. And when I do not have my lights on and I use my brake my dash light will come on, day or night.

General Comments:

I love my 2001 Dodge Durango 4X4 is just fits me, it has great powe magnum V-8 engine.

Review Date: 22nd August, 2008

2001 Dodge Durango RT 5.9 from North America

Previous carDodge Durango

Summary:

Good truck with a beastly engine!

My transmission would not shift out of first gear. I found some great advice from previous comments on this site, suggesting that I switch my wiper relay with my trans relay. This move solved my problem.

I had my transmission replaced previously while under warranty at 31,000 miles. Thus I surmised that the mechanics of the transmission itself were good, and I could not possibly need another transmission, thus I heeded the advice found here and consequently feel incredibly relieved. Thank you guys so much.

General Comments:

This has been a great truck once the factory recall items were resolved. (Upper ball joints, gear shift injector).

The brakes could be better though. (Stronger, performance type)

Review Date: 31st May, 2008

2001 Dodge Durango SLT 4.7 Litre V8 from North America

Year of manufacture2000
Engine and transmission 4.7 Litre V8 Automatic
Previous carJeep Grand Cherokee

Summary:

Capable, comfortable, and reliable if maintained

Replaced the tires at 70,000 miles.

The driver's seat had minor wear on it when I purchased the vehicle, but Armor-All leather protectant helped a great deal and has prevented further wear.

The rear window switches work intermittently on occasion.

One fastener that holds up the rear window tail light broke, causing a minor rattle.

Front Ball joints were replaced under recall.

Gear shift malfunction replaced under recall.

General Comments:

The car has decent pick-up for its size. The 5.9 litre V8 offers more punch, but the 4.7 accelerates well and has decent fuel economy, I average 17+ MPG combined city/highway driving. Braking and handling is decent for a vehicle the Durango's size, a Grand Cherokee handles better on the road.

The Durango does very well off-road. The larger tires on the SLT are excellent for sand and loose gravel. The suspension is very true to its Dakota frame, so the ride is stiff and sometimes the Durango wallows over larger bumps. The 4X4 engages quickly and without the need to shift into neutral.

I have read a number of reports indicating that the Durango is an unreliable vehicle. I purchased mine used with 54000 miles. It was a dealer return under a state lemon law. The engine had been cutting out randomly. The dealer flashed the engine computer and the problem has not returned in the 30000 miles I have driven the car. I have performed all scheduled maintenance in the manual and the car has been very reliable.

The Durango is a comfortable vehicle, the leather seats don't support the lower back completely, but they fit taller passengers well. The rear seat is comfortable for all but the tallest passengers. The third row seat is meant for smaller people. You would not even know the seat is there when it is folded down, and the trunk space is quite large. There is also a small compartment in the trunk for keeping emergency supplies, very convenient. The many A/C outlets are also very helpful.

Overall, the Durango is a very solid utility vehicle that is capable off-road and rivals larger vehicles in cargo and passenger capacity. I prefer the pre-2004 Durangos because they manage to be mid-size SUV's that offer the utility of larger vehicles. The 2004-present Durangos are too large and do not differentiate the Durango from other vehicles at all.

Review Date: 21st May, 2008