This car has overall been extremely reliable and has never left me stranded *knock on wood* in my 10 yrs (as of April of '09) of ownership. It seems to have a personality of its own at times, which can be charming at times, annoying at others.
There are a few things not working that I haven't gotten around to replacing, which tend to add to it's "personality", which I've heard is just part of the Neon experience:
- CD player stopped working but radio itself works fine.
- Horn doesn't work if the temperature is below 50 degrees out, no matter the engine temperature.
- The multi function switch needs replacement, so I'm unable to turn on the dome light, and the interior lights freak out as I drive.
- It has had a random issue with idling for several years now, acts like it wants to shut off if sitting in drive at, say a stop light for too long, mainly if it's damp or raining out and I have some kind of vent/ac on, but the car never actually stalls.
- After sitting, for example, overnight or for 8 hours at work, sometimes I will try to start the car and all the inside electrical stuff turns on but nothing happens with the engine, no clicks, no trying to turn over, nothing, try it a 2nd time and it almost always works, very random problem, had the ignition switch and started looked at by dealer who said they were fine.
Aside from the above "oddities" the car is very reliable and I am very happy with it. I plan on getting a new car and making the Neon my 2nd car shortly as I don't feel comfortable taking it on long trips only because the mileage is now in the 150k-175k range.