2000 Dodge Neon ES 2.0 4 cylinder from North America
Quick, sporty, great on gas!
1. The sunroof is dead and in the slightly up position (by a few millimeters on one side). I can hear wind rushing in if I close my windows. Also, there is an annoying rattling noise from overhead (related to the broken sunroof I'm sure).
2. Front struts need replacing.
3. Driver door lock just turns from the outside; won't unlock the door.
4. 4-disc CD changer is dead. Rear and one front side bass speakers are all shot as well.
5. When I get to about 35 mph or more and follow a curve in the road to the left, the whole car suddenly jerks right. Related to the bad struts I believe.
6. The plastic lens covers on the headlights are scratched and faded. Look like crap now. Will get new projection HID lamps for 84 dollars a set.
With rising fuel prices (just hit 4.00$/gallon here) I picked up a 2000 Dodge Neon for its high MPG ratings (up to 35 MPG). The car sounds new, looks great inside and out, and is quite peppy for a little 2.0L 4-cylinder. I have driven the car all week to work, shopping, etc and have barely used a quarter gallon of fuel. I used 1/2 to 3/4 of a tank weekly in my old car.
The seats are sporty and comfortable enough for a bottom-end car. At 6'3 I have the seat back most of the way, and see the side beam between the doors when I turn my head (I usually drive full size coupes). But it's still a comfortable ride, with the controls within easy reach.
In all, the cons are minor, and are to be expected for an 8 year old car with high miles. Looking into some engine mods to increase horsepower and performance (like a cold air intake kit). Most mods for this car are super cheap. Most parts for this car are inexpensive as well.
In all, this is a great car with only a few minor issues. Perfect for students and those of us on a budget. I was dubious about getting it, but am pleased that my wife talked me into it. We will see how it handles long term though. Like I said, it's only been a week.
Would you buy another car from this manufacturer? Yes
Review Date: 30th May, 2008