1999 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 4x4 Sport 5.2 from North America

Summary:

Junk..

My 1999 Dodge Ram Pickup 4x4 Sport model has had the transmission replaced at 5 1/2yrs old and 37238 miles; $2500.

6 months later it needed a new computer board put in; $700 parts and labor.

Here are the problems my truck has been through.

By the way I have only 48,000 miles on it.

Transmission replacement.

Computer board replacement.

Radio doesn't work right.

Brake line is broken.

Needs ball joints.

Needs right side wheel bearing.

Roof leaks somewhere as water gets in and can smell mold.

Evaporator core replaced.

Reported brake problems 3 times, but nothing can be found (brakes go to floor when trying to stop sometimes).

Speakers need to be replaced from not working.

Main oil seal replaced.

General Comments:

Anyone looking to buying a Dodge Pickup - stay away...

I will never buy a Dodge again.

Everyone still thinks my truck is new. The truck has been babied.

Review Date: 19th July, 2007

1999 Dodge Ram Pickup SLT 5.9 turbo diesel from North America

The first problem I have had was the exhaust manifold cracked and had a 1 inch hole on the bottom side which the dealership could not find, but a local high school kid could.

I experienced a loss of power (get up and go) which turned out to be a throttle pressure plate adjustment, but it took the dealership 15 days to find it.

I have this groaning noise in the steering only when turning to the right. I have changed out all steering links (idler, pitman, tracking etc.) and have upgraded in accordance to a flash from the dealer to larger power steering lines, but still have the groaning noise and now a wandering problem since all this work has been done. Dodge rep stated that it doesn't wander any more than his.

I also have a vibration in the truck that only I can feel according to several dealership. All three mirrors will vibrate bad enough to render them useless. It cannot be felt in the steering, but in the seat and doors and floors. If I am turning to the right the left mirror vibrates more and the left less. Just the opposite for a left turn. I have had the tires, wheels, u-joints, and carrier bearing replaced, but no change has been noted. I have been informed that it must be the tires by several shops, but when I tell them that it does it without wheels while in jack stands they just scratch their heads and say the don't know. has any one out there had a bad vibration like this or could make some suggestions.

Review Date: 30th June, 2007

7th Sep 2007, 19:45

Two problems I have seen with your vibration issues are: Drive shafts either bent of out of balance. Another idea is a bent axle, which I have seen come out of the factory bent. Good luck.

1999 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 SLT Cummins turbo diesel from North America

Summary:

I am very happy with this pickup

Lift pump was bad when I bought it. The previous owner said it had been bad for a while.

This caused the injector pump to go bad also.

Both were replaced at about 109,000 miles. I installed both myself which was not too hard to do and save a lot of money on labor.

General Comments:

This is one tough truck. It handles very heavy loads great. We have used it to haul over 1 ton several times. We pull our family 30 travel trailer (with a full slide out)with it. This truck with the cummins engine is so heavy it's like the trailer is not even back there.

The engine is pretty loud and noisy. But I love the sound! The only downside to the newer model dodge diesels is they have made them quiter.

Having a 3/4 ton full size 4x4 pickup tons of torque that can still get about 20 miles per gallon when empty on a highway trip is a plus too.

Also the cab is very large and roomy, which is great on long trips.

Review Date: 1st September, 2005