1999 Dodge Ram Pickup Reviews - Page 5 of 12

1999 Dodge Ram Pickup SLT 5.9L from North America

Engine and transmission 5.9L Automatic
Previous carDodge Ram

Summary:

Excellent vehicle

Transmisson flush at 50,000 due to slipping sounds in transmission.

General Comments:

This is an excellent work truck and family vehicle. Ours has leather interior and is still in excellent shape. This truck is not a 4x4 and does not do well in mud or sand. We bought this truck used with 44,000 miles on it and the people before had taken very good care of it. We have made a 2000 mile trip and drive it everyday to work. Gas mileage averages at 15 mpg. The transmission slips when in overdrive when it needs to be flushed, about every 20,000 miles. I feel we have a luxury ride that does not cost us a lot.

Review Date: 24th August, 2004

1999 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Quad Cab 5.9 Liter Gas from North America

First year of ownership1998
Engine and transmission 5.9 Liter Gas Automatic
Previous carChevrolet Caprice

Summary:

A hard working truck that works best when not babied!

The front brake calipers would not float as they are suppose to. 12,000 miles the pads were gone on the inside, but not hardly touched on the outside. Dealer said this was normal!! I figured out that this was a common problem. The spindles were not surface ground from the factory and would not let the calipers float. Used a small grinder and file and works great since.

At 40,000 miles, I installed a K&N filter, Mopar Performance Computer and Accel Coil. This was a big improvement in power when towing.

At 140,000 miles had to replace the battery, thermostat, water pump and idler for serpentine belt.

Some of the small interior plastic pieces have started to break from wear and age.

General Comments:

This is a very reliable and powerful truck. I have kept it well maintained and it has been almost flawless. I would buy another if they were not so expensive. I plan to keep this one for a long while.

This truck has towed a 31 foot camper (approximately 8000 lbs loaded) for over 20000 miles since I have owned it. It is also used to tow cars on a trailer, as well as haul wood, stone, and anything else. I have worked this truck hard, but did do regular service on it.

I would recommend this truck to anyone looking for a hard working truck. I have not babied this truck at all and it has still been there every time I need it.

No the transmission has never been touched except for fluid changes (Mopar brand) and still works as it did when it was new!

A story to show how strong this truck is: I towed my camper with the bed 3/4 full of firewood to Gatlinburg from Indiana in 2002 when the weather was well over 90 degrees and very humid. I went all the way with the air running. On some of the steep inclines, I slowed to 55 MPH going up. The truck was in second gear pulling almost 5000 RPM's for about 5 miles (3.73 gear ratio). The water temperature never went over 210 degrees and the air conditioning stayed cold. I have pulled these RPM's several times since I have owned it with never a glitch!!! This is why I still have it and use it today!

Review Date: 24th June, 2004

1999 Dodge Ram Pickup from North America

First year of ownership1999
Most recent distance82000 miles
Previous carDodge Ram Pickup

Summary:

Have been very well pleased with this vehicle

The power steering quit working today.

General Comments:

Nothing has gone wrong until now. Today I pulled a boat and trailer back to my home today, which is about 90 miles. When I got home I got out of the vehicle to open the gate so I could pull the boat in the back yard. I left it running. I immediately got back in it and pulled it up about 25 feet and all of a sudden the power steering acted as if it had went completely out. It didn't make any noise of any kind and it is full on power steering fluid. The belt is still on and working. What do you think could have happened? No problems at all with it before now.

Review Date: 31st May, 2004

18th Oct 2005, 15:25

I just had the same thing happen and it turns out the shaft on the power steering pump had twisted off inside the pump so that the impeller wasn't turning. Had a rebuilt pump installed.