1999 Dodge Ram Pickup Reviews - Page 7 of 12

1999 Dodge Ram Pickup V8 Magnum 5.9 gas from North America

Engine and transmission 5.9 gas Automatic
Previous carChevrolet 6.2 litre diesel

Summary:

Cost does not make up for a few benefits

The U joint went at 116 000.

The U joint going again at 185,000

The track bar loosens so truck jumps over road

A new headlight assembly costs $222.00 (C)

A new windshield costs $800.00 (C)

General Comments:

I like the wide cab.

It has very comfortable seats.

The acceleration is good.

Parts cost a lot for this truck, especially from a dealership.

Fuel mileage is very low, about 12 miles to a gallon in winter.

Review Date: 19th May, 2004

1st Mar 2005, 03:58

I own a 1999 dodge ext cab, 360 engine. I just have to STRONGLY disagree with Mr. 2nd Commenter. I have a hard tonneau cover a K N filter, and a hi flow cat and an aftermarket Muffler, I am lucky to see 15 miles per gallon. Still a nice truck though.

30th Dec 2005, 20:11

Remember, these are big trucks that take a lot of engine energy to get moving. The key to improving gas mileage is freeing up restrictive factory systems, like the intake and mufflers. Adding a K&N FIPK system in place of the factory airbox is a great modification that will improve mileage by allowing the engine to breath more freely. Adding an aftermarket muffler will do the same thing, but a mandrel-bent complete exhaust system will be even more beneficial by reducing not only flow restriciton from the stock mufflers, but smoothing the path that the exhaust gas has to follow. Gibson makes wonderful products, I use them exclusively on my trucks after trying out several other brands. I'd stay away from aftermarket headers if I were you. Exhaust companies kind of have a little advertising snafu going... you can free up horsepower AND mileage in most cases, but only to a certain extent; after that, its one or the other. Making horsepower requires two things, air and fuel. At a certain point you need to have more fuel to take advantage of increased airflow... not exactly good for gas mileage, is it? Adding aftermarket headers is a very time consuming process (even with Gibson headers, which are engineered wonderfully), but I wouldn't bother unless you are running forced induction of some sort; the factory manifolds are more than adequate for bolt-on mods. By the way, the vortex-style throttle body spacers are crap, don't waste your money. You can't "swirl" the intake charge - any "spinning" of the air created by those things is completely lost as soon as you get to the first runner in the intake manifold. Just my $.02.

1999 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 SLT Extended Cab 5.9L from North America

Engine and transmission 5.9L Automatic
Previous carFord F150

Summary:

Never Again a Dodge

A/C Went bad right away, compressor destructed, that was fixed under warranty.

At 123,000 miles, the transmission died.

2 Weeks after getting the transmission fixed, it was back for front and rear ball joints.

A week later, the A/C died again. (not fixed yet)

This weekend at 127,000 Miles the steering box started spewing fluid.

General Comments:

When it runs, it has plenty of power, but the maintenance costs are ridiculous.

Previous vehicle was a 1995 F-140 4x4 Extended cab that had almost no problems (other than an appetite for brakes and rotors) at 180,000 miles when traded.

Review Date: 17th May, 2004

27th Sep 2004, 21:18

I have a 2001 dodge ram quadcab power steering box started leaking at 112000km. Transmission blew up at 132000km. Thank god I purchased the extended warranty. I had 456km left on my warranty. After all this my gas mileage still sucks anywhere from 12-15mpg. any ideas for the mileage would be appreciated.

1999 Dodge Ram Pickup SLT 5.2 from North America

First year of ownership1999
Previous carDodge Dakota

Summary:

Compared option to option to other leading brands you can't get a better deal

Driver side seat belt broke at about 10,000 miles.

Power steering Pump had a shaft that broke off at 32,000 miles.

Ball joints and universal joints had to be replaced at 95,000 miles.

Electronic Torque converter went bad at 98,000 mile.

Magnesium rim got cracked at about 100,000 on a pot hole.

Transmission went bad at 131,000 miles.

I have a small rust spot on the bottom of the drivers door.

General Comments:

I bought this truck new in 1999. This has been the best vehicle I have ever owned. Please don't let the broken parts list scare you off. I abused this truck since the day I bought it and other than the quarter size rust spot on the bottom of the door it looks very clean inside and out.

This truck is a pleasure to drive. I do wish it had a little more horse power, it is a little under powered for the weight of the vehicle.

I like the feel of the brakes, but they don't last to long. I have to change the front about every 20,000 miles.

At over 135,000 miles I still don't burn oil. I do leak very little, but barely noticeable and I still change.

Review Date: 6th May, 2004