1999 Dodge Ram Pickup Quad Cab 1500 V8 from North America

Summary:

A life threatening liability

In August 2002, while driving on I85, when trying to disengage cruise, the truck began to speed to 80-100 mph with my inability to brake and stop the vehicle. Called 911. Highway patrol talked me through turning off ignition key on shoulder of highway. Luckily, during the middle of the day there was little traffic and therefore didn't wreck the truck with my daughters and me. Dealer diagnosed throttle cable sticking. Replaced it and shot brakes (due to riding them while during acceleration) -- at my expense. Dealer stated "once in a lifetime problem", no recall on vehicle, it is safe to drive.

On 5/17/04, during morning traffic, it happened again. The truck began to speed up with no ability to stop. Called 911 again. Once again, we were lucky to not have an accident. This time my husband was driving with my two children. Dealer towed truck to shop and witnessed throttle cable engaged again. Involved DiamlerChrysler District Service Manager to troubleshoot odd situation they can't explain. Chrysler's resolution to the problem is to fix it (at their cost) and send it back on the road again.

Even though the dealer and their parent company (Chrysler) can't figure out why this problem happens, they feel it is appropriate to allow the vehicle to go back to the owner to drive. This vehicle is unsafe to me and my family and others on the road.

General Comments:

Chrysler's customer service system is not geared to the customer. They are not looking out for the best interest of the public.

The service manager at the dealer as well as a sales manager state they both would never put their families in this truck -- even if repaired.

My 1999 Dodge Ram Quad Cab has serious mechanical problems that the manufacturer needs to take responsibility for to prevent an accident or death in the future.

Review Date: 23rd May, 2004

12th Apr 2005, 13:52

Just a little side note to your story. It is full of holes.

A sticky throttle cable would only make vehicle speed up if you were under acceleration already. Cruise wouldn't have much to do with this situation. And for the record you should have learned the first time to just shut the key off to the first position.

Wouldn't take 2 calls to 911 for me to figure this one out.

The fix to your problem is a ground strap issue. Poorly grounded engine to chassis will cause feedback through the cable. Have your mechanic add numerous ground straps. Engine to frame, body to frame, body to engine. Should never do it again. Dealership should have recognized this.

5th Jun 2006, 08:09

I was thinking the same thing. Years later, the same situation occurs, and this person has an inability to function as any normal driver, instead calling 911? I don't buy it.

5th Jan 2011, 13:52

Anyone whom has to call 911 to figure out how to stop their "runaway" car needs to turn over the keys! Really?!? I wouldn't advise you to turn off the key doing 110, which sounds sketchy to begin with. My Dodge wouldn't do 110 if I dropped it off a cliff. They're underpowered. Put it in neutral and sacrifice the engine to save your life. If you turn off the ignition on many cars, the steering will lock, and you could crash.

1999 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 4x4 Quad Cab 5.2 from North America

Summary:

I love my Dodge!!

We didn't have any problems with it the first year we had the truck. But last year every long trip we went on something happened. First the right hube went out on a trip to the coast. On our next trip the water pump blew on the freeway. To be expected with the mileage. Now we are replacing the transmission.

General Comments:

All in all we love our truck. We are constantly pulling a trailer full of quads or hauling firewood. So for the work load that this truck does with the 318 and the miles it has, I would never buy anything, but a dodge. We have three kids and seam to fit OK. Very Pleased!!

Review Date: 21st May, 2004