2001 Fiat Punto Sporting 1.2 16v from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Thrifty budget fun with typical Turin build quality

Gear linkage needed replacing at 52,000 miles.

Radiator fan needs replacing at 70,000 miles.

Rust appearing on roof - although I though these cars were galvanised?

Brakes continue to squeak and do not feel positive, even though Fiat cannot find fault, and charge me each time for cleaning.

Annoying squeaks and rattles coming from the interior while driving.

Sunroof rattles.

There seems to be interaction between the lights, as a warning light comes on when braking with dipped beams.

Remote central locking has packed up.

General Comments:

Lovely car to drive and averages around 48mpg due to its thrifty 1.2 16v engine and 6 speed gear box - which with a power to weight ratio (about 85bhp), gives good performance - although it's certainly not a motorway cruiser.

Good handling in all conditions, although due to the sports suspension, it can be quite tiring to drive on long journeys.

Mechanical build quality and interior plastics are good; however I do get annoying rattles and creaks - vehicle electrics need consideration.

Review Date: 19th June, 2007

2001 Fiat Punto SX 1.2 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Mine has been reliable and cheap to run

From day one there was a squeaking from the rear suspension. i took it back to the dealers about 3 times for this under warranty. it was eventually sorted out, but it still appears from time to time, but I'm not so bothered now its 5 yrs old.

The car has now started to use a bit of oil and when I switch the blowers on there is an oily smell.

General Comments:

The car has been reliable and hasn't let me down. i think it drives well for a small car. it does OK for a 1250 engine. i get 40 to the gallon, but I don't drive it hard.

Review Date: 26th April, 2006

2001 Fiat Punto Sporting 1.2 16v from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

Never ever again

Er not sure where to start. Had usual problems such as door trim coming off, head lights misting up, plastic parts just falling off, drivers seat stuck in one place, windcreen wipers breaking and only driving with one working - then bang! 6 months after buying a 2001 car - the gear-box blows! total re-build, what a peice of c##p. Getting bus to work while this rubbish is fixed, and you don't want to know the cost. Never ever buy a Fiat.

General Comments:

This car is seriously bad - I would hesitate to be a passenger in one again - own one? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA you must be joking. Sure they have killer looks - but don't do it! Don't buy it! It will fall apart before your eyes.

Review Date: 7th April, 2006

12th May 2006, 10:03

Its very hard to believe, you have probably picked up a second hand vehicle which has been driven hard. This can happen to any brand of car, it also feels even harder when you have to fork out for repairs.

12th May 2006, 10:36

Following on from the previous comment regarding cost of repairs, I would seriously look around; you will find a difference in pricing. Unfortunately I have heard excellent reviews on the new Punto. Don't be so harsh on yourself.

16th Feb 2011, 11:51

All I'll say is Fix It Again Tomorrow...

19th Feb 2012, 14:32

My Punto Mk 2 is very well kept, and had only driven 104.000 km, so to say that it has not been maintained would be wrong.

I am still experiencing the same thing as this owner, that the car simply falls apart around me!!!

And it is of great frustration, because it runs super well, is economical and looks good. I absolutely love the new Grand Punto, but I dare not buy it.

Maybe we were unlucky, because my cousin has a Mk 2 Punto 1.2 8v, and he has not had major problems with his Punto.

2001 Fiat Punto Sporting 1.2 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

A stylish, reliable and enjoyable car to drive!

Nothing has gone wrong since I bought the car.

General Comments:

I didn't set out to buy a Punto tough I've been driving a friends Punto all last summer in Italy - that car was excellent.

So I found myself with a 33,000 2001 Punto Sporting. I've now driven 1500 miles and can say that the car is excellent, stiff suspension, but that's because it's a sports set up.

1st through fourth gears are great - fast - but 5th & 6th are just for cruising. If you don't have momentum going up hill its quickly 6,5,4 the newer 1.4 probably copes better here. But then I don't expect miracles from a 1.2 engine. I am happier that I get a little over 50 mpg.

The bucket seats are VERY comfortable, leather steering wheel is great, so is the firmness of the PAS, six gears excellent. Visibility and and maneuverability fine. Wide profiles stick like glue to the road, excellent cornering.

As for the styling a real eye catcher - my Punto is in metallic burnt orange - looks fabulous. Nice interior, orange back lit everywhere at night its very restful and easy to see controls.

Stereo, well haven't used the cassette player, but the radio is A1+ Blaupunkt as is the multi-changer which is nicely fitted and easy to use. The factory installed woofler & 6 speakers are excellent. Top marks.

What else can I say, drives beautifully, economical, looks great, very comfortable, reliable to date - and yes, now I would look favourably at buying a FIAT in the future.

Review Date: 5th March, 2006