1994 Ford Aspire Reviews - Page 4 of 9

1994 Ford Aspire Base from North America

First year of ownership1999
Most recent year of ownership2002
Previous carChevrolet Celebrity

Summary:

Great student car

Mostly just problems with the struts. The back struts have been replaced twice and need to be replaced again. The front struts have been replaced once.

Battery has been replaced twice.

Front axle broke as I was driving home one day, front boots also needed to be replaced.

Brakes have been replaced once.

General Comments:

Puddle jumper, excellent on gas.

Always starts, even on the coldest days.

Parts are usually expensive to replace.

I find it's better for driving in the city, rather than on the highway. It seems to shake a lot with the higher speeds.

It's a light weight car that sometimes feels out of control because it seems to jump all over the road.

Review Date: 31st December, 2002

1994 Ford Aspire 1.3 liter from North America

First year of ownership1994
Most recent year of ownership2001
Engine and transmission 1.3 liter Manual

Summary:

Extremely reliable and inexpensive

I owned the Aspire from 1994 to 2001. The only problem it has was the factory battery needed to be replaced after a few months (warranty covered that), the front brakes were replaced and the tires were replaced after a bad run in with some metal on the road. Other than that, it never had any problems whatsoever. I only bought another car because I have a bad left knee and the shifting got to be too much with a long commute.

General Comments:

The Aspire is small, quite underpowered and has really flimsy body metal. However, it gets great gas mileage and is as reliable as can be.

Review Date: 30th December, 2002

1994 Ford Aspire Base 1.3L from North America

First year of ownership1996
Most recent year of ownership2002
Engine and transmission 1.3L Manual
Most recent distance194000 kilometres
Previous carVolkswagen Cabrio

Summary:

Best bang for the buck... who needs a civic?

Front Brakes were the first thing to go, I think I did them at 75000kms, and I just did them again at 185000kms.

The Front Crank seal went at 100,000kms, but I had it done at no extra cost when I did the timing belt. The crank seal might have been from over-revving the motor...63 what?

Battery went after 6 years.

Fuel Pump went at 180,000kms. This part was very pricey from the dealer, but I put a used one in for $150 CDN

I am sure that the only reason the fuel pump went is because I always drive it around with little or no gas in the tank.

Replaced both control arms (balljoints), the first one at 70,000kms and the second one at about 175000kms.

Drivers side window regulator has broken twice now since I have owned the car.

Just recently replaced both front wheel bearings, and one of the side in the rear (all at around 190,000kms)

Back brakes are still good.

Handbrake cable is stretched.

This car attracts many dents of all sorts.

General Comments:

I love this car. Many people see this car as a piece of crap, but they are wrong.

This car has lasted well beyond its expected life for me. It starts every day, runs the sames way (no bad days)

Many of the parts I have replaced have been as a result of abuse. Aside from this, the car is awesome, I couldn't ask for any more out of this little car.

This car is cheap on gas, it runs a 17.8 quarter mile, and it runs better and longer than most civics I have seen.

The motor may be powerless, but at least it doesn't smoke. I do the oil changes every 4000kms, since I have had it, and it burns less than half a litre between oil changes.

Review Date: 20th October, 2002

12th Oct 2004, 13:49

Your post about your Ford Aspire was very helpful. I just bought a 1994 junked out one from a guy down the street merely trying to get it off his property. Doesn't run because of the kill switch, battery's dead because he hasn't driven it in over a year, and the paints a little chipped. Took it to a mechanic and he agreed with all few things we said were damaged or inoperative. New battery, hopefully he's going to fix the kill switch tomorrow, but he mentioned his kid having an Aspire and him personally loving it because he only has to buy parts to fix it once every year or so. Maybe twice. Uses practically no gas, he says. His kid can drive to downtown and back on a few bucks. I've been a little discouraged because of my stupid friends trying to get me to buy a civic. I'm sorry, I don't have the money, nor care to spend it on a Honda. I'm glad you posted. It's encouraged me once more. Thanks.