1999 Ford Escort LX 1.9 from North America

Handles well, a bit noisy, bouncy ride. Reliable

Trunk lock cylinder was a bit loose, sun visors and headliner starting to go.

General Comments:

I bought this car a month ago and sold it soon afterwards. I had previously owned a 2000 ZX2 with the double overhead cam engine and automatic; it had 35k. It had a bad vibration at idle that the dealer refused to fix... even though it was under warranty... and this single overhead cam had it to a lesser degree. Both cars were automatic. I thought the ZX2 rode a bit bouncy and rubbery... and this sedan rode exactly the same. Both cars were noisy on the road, with engine drone despite the low RPM and overdrive. Both did handle well... but the sedan seemed just as good as the ZX2... took curves with no lean to speak of.

The sun visors and headliner were starting to go I think... and the trunk lock cylinder seemed a bit loose in its hole... was not sure how to tighten it up. The one I just bought and sold... the 1999 LX sedan had given the previous owner a time with the shifter not working... he had it done twice. I had no issues with it.

The bouncy ride, droning engine, and tinny sounding driver's door closing were my only real dislikes. I own a 2000 Cavalier with 204k and liked it better than the Escort... so I sold a super clean low mileage car and kept the high mileage car because it rode better, was quieter, and for me was more comfortable. I guess I have to stay away from Escorts, because my tush says it does not like the ride!

Review Date: 2nd August, 2015

2nd Aug 2015, 22:58

Isn't 200 miles a bit early to comment on reliability?

Pretty soon, you'll learn it's a Ford.

4th Aug 2015, 23:26

Pretty soon, you'll learn that the reviewer sold the Ford a month later and now drives a Cavalier.

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Sport 2.0L from North America

For the money this is a great car

First and foremost, I bought the car with a busted head gasket seal and a broken timing chain, and it cost me 420 dollars in repair at a repair shop.

I gave the car a tune up for 50 dollars, and spent 15 dollars on interior bulbs and headlamp sockets. I also purchased new tires for it that cost me about 330 dollars.

I also purchased a used I.A.C. valve for 15 dollars and installed it.

The total of all things needed was 830 dollars.

I have had no further problems with the car since I bought it.

General Comments:

Now that that's out of the way, the car is decent with fuel mileage (27 city/31 highway) and is very easy to track because I have only a 10 gallon fuel tank. I took a trip from Jackson, MI all the way to Sault Ste. Marie and back, and the car was very comfortable for a coupe.

I had enough space for me and my things with no problem.

This car is NOT a family car. It is (my opinion) aimed toward college students, local commuters, a small family (man and wife), or just a single person like myself.

Maintenance costs are very low, but then again I do most of the work on the car myself because it's easy enough to do.

Review Date: 22nd September, 2013

1999 Ford Escort SE 2.0 from North America

Good little car, a few problems but still satisfied

Had to replace gas tank, as it was leaking at the seam.

General Comments:

I like the car, I bought it from my grandfather's girlfriend, and I only paid $600 for it (it had no problems by the way).

But I've noticed I'm been having bad gas mileage. I don't know if it's normal or what, but I'm only getting about 320-350 kilometers to a full tank of gas, and I'm constantly filling up... people tell me I should be getting more than that. I recently did a tune up, so I don't know why it's doing this... I've come to the conclusion that it could be the MAF sensor, oxygen sensor, PCV valve or vacuum leaks, but I haven't had my mechanic check yet. Does anybody know which it would be?

Engine light is on, P1506 (Idle overspeed error) and I don't know how to fix it... Could this have to do with the bad gas mileage I'm getting? (PCV valve, vacuum leaks possibly??)

Review Date: 14th June, 2012