1999 Ford Escort SE 2.0 from North America

Summary:

Good little car, a few problems but still satisfied

Had to replace gas tank, as it was leaking at the seam.

General Comments:

I like the car, I bought it from my grandfather's girlfriend, and I only paid $600 for it (it had no problems by the way).

But I've noticed I'm been having bad gas mileage. I don't know if it's normal or what, but I'm only getting about 320-350 kilometers to a full tank of gas, and I'm constantly filling up... people tell me I should be getting more than that. I recently did a tune up, so I don't know why it's doing this... I've come to the conclusion that it could be the MAF sensor, oxygen sensor, PCV valve or vacuum leaks, but I haven't had my mechanic check yet. Does anybody know which it would be?

Engine light is on, P1506 (Idle overspeed error) and I don't know how to fix it... Could this have to do with the bad gas mileage I'm getting? (PCV valve, vacuum leaks possibly??)

Review Date: 14th June, 2012

1999 Ford Escort LX station wagon 2.0 from North America

Summary:

Don't

I got the wagon for 1,000 used with a salvage title; apparently a baseball sized hole in the bumper was enough to total it. Past that, all the springs and shocks needed replaced in the 20,000 miles I owned it, along with a head gasket.

General Comments:

Liked the luggage rack and the space in the wagon. It also took a head on wreck with 1990's Ford Ranger going 80 very well; I only had one scratch afterward. However it needed more unscheduled maintenance than anything else I've owned.

Review Date: 11th June, 2011

16th Jun 2011, 09:23

Sure. The previous owner deferred all maintenance then sold it or traded it in. 100K is pretty much the upper limit of struts. The head gasket may have failed because the coolant had never been flushed.

When buying a car of that mileage, expect to perform the deferred maintenance, and keep the vehicle long enough to get your money's worth.

1999 Ford Escort SE 2.0 from North America

Summary:

Best car for a 1000 that I could find

Alternator is bad.

Driver side window regulator is bad.

Headliner is hanging down.

General Comments:

I bought the car 1 month ago for a 1000 dollars. Have had no problems with it, except what I have already stated.

I am still driving with a bad alternator, but it is still charging enough to work.

I get about 400 miles per tankful, driving a city and highway mix.

Review Date: 24th April, 2011

25th Apr 2011, 15:14

2 cents of wisdom just for you (above poster).

GET THE ALT FIXED ASAP!

You are about to be inconvenienced by sitting around either in rush hour traffic or on the side of a lonely highway waiting for a tow truck.. when alt's START to go, they just go..

You can throw in buying a new battery ($100-ish) also for playing with this dying alternator issue + add another $100-ish for the tow!

5th Jun 2011, 07:34

I was just updating the review. I have put on over 4000 miles in the past month. Still haven't put a alternator in yet, but it is still charging. I get about 30 to 32 in the city with the A/C on, and 38 to 42 on the highway. I absolutely love the car.

6th Jun 2011, 08:37

If you absolutely love this car, you will certainly heed the 2 cents of wisdom above, because that guy is absolutely right. Trust me, I learned the hard way.

9th Sep 2011, 20:30

Still driving with a bad alternator. Still no problems. Had to replace a wheel bearing 3 weeks ago.

27th Aug 2012, 21:38

5 months of driving with a bad alternator?? And how did you figure out it was bad again? Have you put a gauge on the battery while the car is running and revved the engine up a bit to see if it was charging?? 5 months of driving on a bad alternator sounds like you don't have a bad alternator.

You get maybe a week of driving and charging the battery every night... then your alternator is toast. Not 5 months LOL.