1999 Ford Escort LX station wagon 2.0 from North America

I got the wagon for 1,000 used with a salvage title; apparently a baseball sized hole in the bumper was enough to total it. Past that, all the springs and shocks needed replaced in the 20,000 miles I owned it, along with a head gasket.

General Comments:

Liked the luggage rack and the space in the wagon. It also took a head on wreck with 1990's Ford Ranger going 80 very well; I only had one scratch afterward. However it needed more unscheduled maintenance than anything else I've owned.

Review Date: 11th June, 2011

16th Jun 2011, 09:23

Sure. The previous owner deferred all maintenance then sold it or traded it in. 100K is pretty much the upper limit of struts. The head gasket may have failed because the coolant had never been flushed.

When buying a car of that mileage, expect to perform the deferred maintenance, and keep the vehicle long enough to get your money's worth.

1999 Ford Escort SE 2.0 from North America

Best car for a 1000 that I could find

Alternator is bad.

Driver side window regulator is bad.

Headliner is hanging down.

General Comments:

I bought the car 1 month ago for a 1000 dollars. Have had no problems with it, except what I have already stated.

I am still driving with a bad alternator, but it is still charging enough to work.

I get about 400 miles per tankful, driving a city and highway mix.

Review Date: 24th April, 2011

25th Apr 2011, 15:14

2 cents of wisdom just for you (above poster).

You are about to be inconvenienced by sitting around either in rush hour traffic or on the side of a lonely highway waiting for a tow truck.. when alt's START to go, they just go..

You can throw in buying a new battery ($100-ish) also for playing with this dying alternator issue + add another $100-ish for the tow!

5th Jun 2011, 07:34

I was just updating the review. I have put on over 4000 miles in the past month. Still haven't put a alternator in yet, but it is still charging. I get about 30 to 32 in the city with the A/C on, and 38 to 42 on the highway. I absolutely love the car.

6th Jun 2011, 08:37

If you absolutely love this car, you will certainly heed the 2 cents of wisdom above, because that guy is absolutely right. Trust me, I learned the hard way.

9th Sep 2011, 20:30

Still driving with a bad alternator. Still no problems. Had to replace a wheel bearing 3 weeks ago.

27th Aug 2012, 21:38

5 months of driving with a bad alternator?? And how did you figure out it was bad again? Have you put a gauge on the battery while the car is running and revved the engine up a bit to see if it was charging?? 5 months of driving on a bad alternator sounds like you don't have a bad alternator.

You get maybe a week of driving and charging the battery every night... then your alternator is toast. Not 5 months LOL.

1999 Ford Escort Wagon from North America

This car should have lasted longer

The battery cables were loose and the battery was bad at 50K. (Not a huge deal, but left me stranded)

The air-conditioner only worked the first year I had it.

The ignition switch housing cracked, again leaving me stranded, and not exactly cheap to replace.

At the end (72K) the engine started to sound rough when starting, as if it were going to stall out, and the car started to shudder and jerk while accelerating. Had it in the shop twice before they blamed it on the PCV valve being an incorrect size for the car (which is mystifying, as they are the only ones who ever worked on the car) but the problem seemed to be fixed. About two weeks later, the car again started to sound rough on startup, eventually refusing to start at all and once again leaving me stranded. After much searching, the mechanic said the #4 piston had broken, and I needed a new engine. Good-bye, car.

General Comments:

While it was still alive, this car was noisy and had a lot of vibration.

This car should have lasted longer.

A lot of people teased me for owning a Ford, and quite frankly, after the weird issues I had with this car, I am extremely hesitant to buy another one.

Review Date: 12th November, 2010

14th Nov 2010, 00:18

Your shop also doesn't sound too trustworthy.

21st Jan 2011, 04:14

I agree. Sounds like it's time to find a new shop. They can have a lot to do with the life of a car.