1999 Ford Escort ZX2 2.0 liter D.O.H.C. from North America

Summary:

You get what you pay for

Speed sensor went out at about 180k.

Transmission lines completely rusted out at 180k.

Alternator went out at about 170k.

D.O.H.C. solenoid faulty at about 175k.

The car has idled rough since I bought it. I gave it a major tune-up (plugs, wires, sensors, filters) and it still idled rough.

During a recent oil change, I noticed a wire that goes into one of the wiring harnesses on the alternator was loose. I pushed it in completely and the rough idle smoothed right out. I went to a Ford dealer and tried to get that particular piece, and was told that I had to buy the entire wiring harness for the entire car ($1200). I told him I wasn't building a car from scratch, just fixing the one I had, so I would try to make do with what I had. A little black tape held the wire tightly in place. The car runs great now.

Review Date: 5th November, 2009

24th Oct 2011, 19:09

You did buy a car with 165,000 miles on it.

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 2.0 DOHC from North America

Summary:

This is a great car

A/C went out at 60,000.

Alternator at 90,000.

General Comments:

I have a 1999 ZX2 which I got brand new. It just turned 160,000 miles and still runs fine. It's a 5 speed and still running on the original clutch. (amazing for living in San Francisco). I'm getting about 30 mpg city and 35 mpg on the highway.

I've changed the oil every 3,000 miles. Keep my fluids topped off and have never had any major problems. I do most of the work myself, but have taken it the the shop when the A/C quit. (That was $400 to fix. $200 relay plus labor)

I put a new alternator on at 90,000 and changed the battery at that time. Timing belt at 120,000. At that time I changed the water pump, belt and hoses. I've done the brakes one time at around 80,000.

This car has been a great car. I never expected to get this many miles out of it. When I got it, I wanted a Mustang but couldn't afford one. I thought I would drive the Escort for a couple of years, and then get the Mustang. Well I got a new Fusion for my wife 2 years ago, and I'm still in the ZX2. I can't say I love it, but it's been good to me.

Review Date: 17th September, 2009

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 4 cylinder from North America

Summary:

Crap!!!

- Cracking paint job.

- Broken timing belts and tension rods.

- New water pump.

- A 7x13in hole rusted out in trunk.

- Chucks missing from rim.

- Replaced wheel bearing.

- Replaced calipers.

- Replaced hub assembly.

- Replaced battery.

And all this happened over the past 11 months.

General Comments:

Never ever buy this car. It will bring you nothing but costly repairs.

Review Date: 16th September, 2009

16th Sep 2009, 15:38

You do know that you are talking about an entry-level Ford that is 10 years old and has over 100,000 miles on it, don't you?

Perhaps if it was a new car you could be so negative.

There are no LIFETIME WARANTIES on cheap automobiles you know.

16th Sep 2009, 16:02

You didn't have it inspected before the purchase, did you?

17th Sep 2009, 06:58

You're complaining about a car that you bought with 95,000 miles on the clock that had a few failures!

17th Sep 2009, 19:35

Truthfully, this is not that bad of a car. You just don't seem to realize that a 10-year old car is going to need some attention before it's running well again. That being said, I own a '95 Neon that has 83,617 miles on it and I bought it when it had 79,000 miles exactly. Even I have not had nearly as many repairs as this person has with their Escort. So that definitely says something...

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 2.0 DOHC from North America

Summary:

Great starter car

I had to replace the clutch and the slave cylinder.

General Comments:

I have had my car for about two years. I love the car.

The only bad thing is working on the car yourself. You almost have to be an experienced mechanic to work on it. Not to mention the limited amount of space to work with.

Review Date: 16th July, 2009