1999 Ford Explorer Sport 4.0 OHV from North America

Reliable, affordable, comfortable, and fairly low maintenance

This car has been a great one. Despite some pretty standard issues, it has been very reliable. The issues I have had are as followed:

Battery (replaced).

Rear hatch door latch (replaced a plastic clip).

Rear hatch window hinges (replaced).

Idle air control valve made a howling noise (replaced).

Fuel pump (replaced).

Some squeaks from the front end (dealing with it).

Other than these pretty standard issues, the vehicle has been a real champion.

General Comments:

The 4.0 OHV is a pretty reliable engine, with many finding 200k + with minimal issues. I have no complaints as it runs pretty solid, though at 160HP it feels a little under powered compared to today's standards. However, I have never had any real issues with getting it up hills.

The 5 speed transmission is a huge bonus, as Ford transmissions have a long history of being faulty, especially around the 120k mark. A manual transmission is always a more solid option.

Review Date: 1st June, 2016

1999 Ford Explorer Sport 4.0 from North America

Great, reliable, and affordable vehicle to own

I've only had the SUV for two years. Traded a Geo Metro for it. The Geo had half the miles the Explorer had when I got it. I'm proud of the trade, because the only things that have happened are typical maintenance issues like ball joints, hubs, spark plugs and wires, etc.

It leaks oil, but it is high mileage, so what motor won't leak after 265000 miles of use.

Oh by the way, the Geo is dead; it died at 163000 miles.

General Comments:

Reliable, tough, great work/play truck, which is all I use it for, and relatively cheap to operate and maintain. It was a great bargain.

Review Date: 18th February, 2015

1999 Ford Explorer Sport Limited 4wd 4.0 from North America

Not the greatest SUV out there, but probably the best value that can be found

Serpentine idler pulley.

General Comments:

Used Explorers are cheap. It is what it is. There were millions of these things made. I won't say that they were the most awesome vehicle made, but it's serviceable and it's very easy to get a good deal on used one because there are so many out there. Parts are plentiful and cheap... they were so popular during the late 90's and early 00's that there are dozens and dozens of them (if not hundreds) in any given junkyard. They do have problems. My '99 has a solid rear axle, and the shocks are worn out. I can tell you that the combo does not make a smooth ride. I'm not a fan of the auto 4x4 on my Limited. Personally I would rather have full-time 2wd unless I choose to lock it in. I've heard this generation has had some tranny problems, but more so in the 3rd generation.

For the price I paid for mine (dirt cheap), and the price I'm gonna sell it for (slightly more dirt cheap), I will have driven around for nearly 3 years and 25k miles for about 1400 dollars. My total ownership cost will be under 500 dollars a year and close to 5 cents a mile. If I spent 40k on a new one, I would have to own it for 40 years, put nearly 400k miles on it, and sell it for 20k to realize the same value. We all know that won't happen. So... you won't ride around in the latest and greatest if you get a 2nd gen Explorer in 2014 or 2015, but you will get an incredible value.

- Parts are cheap and easy to come by in pick-and-pull junkyards.

- The vehicle is pretty reliable anyway, so no part may be needed.

- No crazy interior squeaks and groans like in a Blazer.

- Pretty good in mud or on the beach.

- The leather used on the Limited is a good quality and doesn't rip or tear easily.

- Can be found for cheap.

- Doesn't ride that great. They went to independent rear suspension in the 3rd gen to solve this.

- Skip the 4.0 V6. The 5.0 V8 will get the same gas mileage (if not slightly better) with greater power.

- Fuel mileage with either motor isn't great.

- I don't like the auto 4wd feature. I could care less about spinning tires in 2wd, but the auto 4wd relies on slip sensors to engage the transfer case. I've heard that tires that aren't the same tread pattern can cause it to engage 4wd. This could be bad on pavement. Mine has been reliable, but there's a chance that it may not be.

Review Date: 2nd September, 2014