1999 Ford Explorer Reviews - Page 2 of 17

1999 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 5.0L V8 from North America

First year of ownership1999
Engine and transmission 5.0L V8 Automatic

Summary:

Still love it after all these years!

Display not working (radio, time, outside temperature, compass).

Power locks not working.

General Comments:

Still love it, despite its faults. It's comfortable, fun to drive, and reliable.

330,000 KM and still going strong, as long as you can afford the gas!

Review Date: 17th April, 2010

1999 Ford Explorer XLT 5.0 V8 from North America

Engine and transmission 5.0 V8 Automatic
Distance when acquired120000 miles
Previous carPontiac 6000

Summary:

Great value, great truck, best used SUVs

The only things I've done in the last 60,000 miles are a front differential and the ball joints, which cost $1,200. Other than that, nothing has gone wrong, this car is mint.

The $1200, that is a lot, but I got a great deal on the car, and those are the only things I've had to do.

General Comments:

This is a great truck, the V8 is the way to go; a lot more sturdy and almost better built than the V-6, has a much better tranny, and is a lot more powerful.

The leather seats are of nice quality, and the sounds system is premium.

I love this truck, and it is in mint condition for being over a decade old. She looks like she just rolled off the assembly line all shiny and new.

The only thing I don't like about this car is random squeaks and noises, as well as the ride. But then again, I have mud tires on her.

Other than that, she's a beast in the snow, unstoppable, you can't get this Explorer stuck.

Review Date: 27th March, 2010

1999 Ford Explorer XLT 4.0 from North America

First year of ownership2009
Previous carBuick Regal

Summary:

A gas guzzler, but I love her

Wire servicing 12V to the fuel pump wore through, left me stranded, had to walk 6 miles to get home. Replaced the wire, works fine now.

Previous owner replaced front diff, got it stuck and ran it too hard in 4x4 trying to get it out - should have called a tow truck.

General Comments:

This vehicle is very spacious, I went camping and slept in the back, comfortable as well.

Depending on the tires you run, you may or may not get much road noise.

I bought this vehicle thinking I would get 20MPG, I get anywhere from 15-18. Got 21 on a road trip this summer.

Handles very nice, and rides well on rough roads.

Review Date: 30th December, 2009

1st Jan 2010, 03:04

My 99 is starting to have gear noise from the front end, has about 115,000 on it, hate the AWD, but it is what it is.

Also starting to get a little grinding noise when I step on the brakes, guess it's time for some new pads.

Needs a new door seal on drivers door, and gas pedal sticks a little. Sometimes when you take off, it doesn't want to press down smoothly, it sticks at the top, then breaks loose.

Other than that, looks like a vehicle maybe 4 years old, still looks sharp.

And I don't remember the code to the keyless entry. I heard it's stamped somewhere inside it, but I can't find it.

Owners manual is long gone, I need a new one.

2nd Jan 2010, 20:24

If you can't find where the code is stamped, you can always take it in to a Ford garage. They will look up the VIN and tell you what the factory keyless entry code is.

27th Mar 2013, 11:40

The keyless entry code is printed on a sticker affixed to the keyless entry module, which is mounted just ahead of the left rear wheel housing.

To access it, remove the fasteners holding the left rear interior trim in place, and pull it back enough to see the sticker. You'll probably need a flashlight, and possibly a mirror.

1999 Ford Explorer Sport XLT from North America

Engine and transmission Don't Know

Summary:

I absolutely love this car

My grandfather bought this car from a family friend as my first car. The car has been VERY dependent. We bought this car at around 25,000 miles and I have put well over 100,000 miles on it. I was somewhat rough on it, as it was my first car.

The rear wiper does not fully clear the rear window.

The dashlight occasionally goes in and out.

The digital compass/thermometer recently stopped working.

While 100 miles away from school, a filter and belt needed to be replaced.

Rear passenger seatbelt decided to stop working.

The transmission needs to be replaced relatively soon.

General Comments:

I LOVE this car. It has ran like a dream up until about two months ago (Keep in mind the car is 10 years old). I drove it 400+ miles a week to school, work and traveled a lot in it.

It's not a real fast pick up and go car, but it has always gotten me where I need to go in a very safe manner.

I have been in two wrecks with this car, and it has always kept me safe.

The inside is very roomy and comfortable. I really like the extra large seats.

I like the fact that it's not extremely touchy.

Review Date: 10th December, 2009

27th Mar 2013, 11:54

>> The rear wiper does not fully clear the rear window. <<

That's a known issue. When they changed to the curved glass, it made the location and angle of the wiper motor a critical dimension, which was seldom held due to manufacturing tolerances.

To fix it, you have to grind (or file) down the cast-in "stop" on the wiper arm base. This stop prevents the arm from moving forward far enough to allow the blade to contact the glass during some angles of its sweep.

It's easy enough to do:

1. Remove the wiper arm from the vehicle.

2. Remove the wiper blade from the arm.

3. Detach and remove the tension spring from the wiper arm.

4. Note where the arm hits the stop at the full forward position.

5. Reduce the height of the stop enough to get an additional inch of forward movement at the blade mounting end.

6. Reattach the spring and blade, and re-mount the arm to the vehicle.

7. Enjoy a clear rear window.