1999 Ford Explorer Reviews - Page 3 of 17

1999 Ford Explorer Sport 4.0L SOHC from North America

Engine and transmission 4.0L SOHC Automatic

Summary:

Great fun all year round vehicle, gave me an awesome first car experience!

The rear seat belt broke on the passenger side, however not much of a problem and it's easy to find a replacement.

My engine went at 157000Km. This was due to the result of not changing my timing chain when it was supposed to. Although costly, I got a used engine at the wreckers and got it installed for $1500. Currently the engine now has 84000km.

Shocks were pretty much finished at 150000km, but were the result of wear and tear, and were a cheap, easy do it yourself fix at about $75.

The lights in the original deck stopped working, so I had a new aftermarket deck installed for $250. Fixing the original was probably a easy fix, but the Ipod is better than the radio for me :).

General Comments:

This is my favorite car I have driven so far! The motor is a good size for the car, so it has quite a bit of go. Fairly easy to pass people on the highway and what not. Runs a fairly smooth ride; truck like, but not as bumpy. The steering is pretty good for an SUV, and usually handles well till about 140Kmph or 80mph, then it gets shaky.

The seats are fairly comfortable, but I wouldn't recommend a drive over 7 hours without a break. The seats adjust awesomely; like any new car you will drive, it takes a bit to get it just right. The only downside to mine is being a 2-door. I like the look a lot better, but it's just not practical if you need to let people in and out all the time. Good amount of trunk space for an SUV, I have never not had enough room to move something.

My parents have had this vehicle since 15000km, and the engine going is the first big thing to go wrong with it. It's been very reliable except for when the dealership messed up putting spark plugs in and made it not run properly for awhile. How you mess that up I really don't know.

The only other downsides other than the 2 door is not great gas mileage, about 17-20 miles to the gallon or 13-14L to 100km. In addition the tires are expensive as well; anywhere $1000+, but the 4X4 can make all seasons worth getting.

I EXTREMELY recommend getting the timing chain replaced in good time to avoid the problem I had too; a $500 fix turned into a hell of a lot more.

Review Date: 30th November, 2009

1999 Ford Explorer Sport 4.0 from North America

Most recent distance120000 miles
Previous carFord Ranger

Summary:

A good trade in for a Hyundai

Emissions issues : Replaced entire exhaust, EGR and related units, fuel filler neck and hose, camshaft timing sensor, EGR solenoid, and front right wheel hub, which has wheel bearings pressed in.

General Comments:

Check engine light will not go out. Either the intake manifold gasket or the head gasket leaks.

Door is ajar light stays on in the winter season; had to remove all dome and door lights to save the battery.

Intermittent headlight switch issue where headlights stay on until car is turned off.

Except for these issues, it looks nice and rides well. Expensive repairs are yet on the horizon.

Review Date: 4th August, 2009

1999 Ford Explorer XLT 4.0 from North America

First year of ownership1999

2 weeks old, driver window fell out.

1st year, 1st gear went out, 5-6 recalls.

Firestone recall.

Interior light blink on/off since new.

Back windshield wiper never worked since new.

Rattles when first started.

Door handles stick.

Throttle sticks.

Door locks won't come up.

Overall an alright SUV, but for the 30k I spent I should have gotten something else!!

Review Date: 5th July, 2009

1999 Ford Explorer Sport 4.0 from North America

Most recent distance196000 miles
Previous carChevrolet Camaro

Summary:

Best purchase ever

Only thing that I have found to be wrong with my Explorer, is it makes a squeaking noise sometimes, and the air doesn't get as cold as I think it should, or the heat get as hot as it should.

General Comments:

When I bought it, the clutch was slipping, that was 2 years ago. I'm still driving it with a bad clutch. It's like the Energizer Bunny. It keeps going and going.

I love it, I am so pleased. Besides normal expenses like plugs, wires, tires and oil, I have put no money in this thing. How cool is that?

I was leery to buy a Ford from all the rumors, but am so psyched I did.

If you're gonna get one, get the manual transmission. All my friends that have automatics have had transmission problems.

Review Date: 12th March, 2009

12th Mar 2009, 23:35

Check and see if you have a cabin air filter. If so and it has not been changed in a long time, it can decrease the A/C and heat considerably... Good luck.