2000 Ford Focus from North America

Summary:

Lemon, junk, stay away

When I first purchased the car, it hesitated to start during the first week. I don't remember the explanation the dealer gave me. Something about it adjusting to something. This was my first new car and I was pretty naive.

This problem has reappeared over the years, mainly when the weather is warmer. It runs sluggishly, then after several miles it seems to be fine. Strangely this never happens in the winter.

The thing is, this happened even when the car was very new. I always took it in, but the dealership would say they couldn't find anything, and since it continued to run I didn't worry.

After the warranty ran out, it seemed like I had to have a repair quarterly. Literally. The month it was paid off and the warranty was over, it just started to fall apart. I've taken it in 3 times this year and it's only June.

This car is a piece of junk. I used to think the bad reputation Ford has was unfair, but now I know. Stay away from Ford.

Review Date: 14th June, 2010

18th Jun 2010, 08:45

Pretty vague review here. What has started to fall apart on your car? Did you keep taking it to the same dealer or shop for analysis of the sluggish running problem? You should have tried multiple places to get that problem fixed when the car was new, and not just let it go over the years.

Plus you gave 0/10 scores for most of the categories? Running costs a 0/10? C'mon, I have a Focus and I would give it a 8 out of 10 as it is really good on gas. 0/10 for performance? Why did you even buy this car if you feel the performance is that bad on it. I'd give mine a 5/10 but it is adequate.

I know you are annoyed with your car, but you should give more accurate information that would help potential buyers instead of just ranting about how bad Ford is and giving "0"'s for all the scores. Be more specific with your "falling apart" issues as well, which will help others.

Hope you have better luck on your next purchase.

7th Jul 2010, 02:39

It's owners like this that make me wonder. You've owned this car for ten (10!!) whole years with all these problems? And what are the problems besides this hesitation. It's hard to believe, especially if this hesitation was a problem that appeared when new and when the car was under warranty. If one dealer say he can't find anything wrong, you have the right to go to another dealer, which you should have done. Really strange review, indeed.

7th Jul 2010, 10:58

Once your warranty runs out, show your dealer nothing but your back. There are plenty of good hardworking independent mechanics who know cars and understand your objectives: keep the car running at reasonable cost.

4th Jan 2012, 01:37

Owned a 2000 Focus Wagon new. Had 10 recalls through the years.

2000 Ford Focus ES 2.0 SOHC Spi from North America

Summary:

Not very reliable overall, but despite some flaws it's a pretty average car

Trunk release does not work anymore. The only way to open the trunk now is with the key.

Timing belt replaced at 90k miles, after the car completely broke down. Wouldn't start. Very costly repair around 1,000 dollars total.

Engine had to be remounted after 90k miles.

A/C only works on the highest setting, but it's almost pointless to use because of all the strain it puts on the engine.

Car gets very shaky driving on the highway or at high speeds.

Both rear speakers have been blown at about 87k miles.

Right headlight fogged up randomly.

Ignition problem, the key was stuck into the ignition. It was a big mess to fix and I was car-less for about 2 weeks.

Brakes replaced just before I received the car. But they have a horrible squeal to them, especially if it's raining or just finished raining.

General Comments:

The car handles okay. And it can move pretty fast, however the car gets very hard to control once it rolls over 80mph.

No problems starting up in cold weather.

The interior is comfortable for me, and I'm about 6 feet tall.

All electronics such as cruise control and over drive work fine.

The E-brake...doesn't really seem to do anything, and I will still slide down steep hills if I'm not careful.

Review Date: 2nd August, 2009

2nd Aug 2009, 14:22

Ford E-brakes suck. Every Ford I have ever owned was unable to hold itself on a hill with the E-brake. Something I do all the time in my Hyundai since it's a manual.

2nd Aug 2009, 14:23

I recommend you trade it in for a Honda or a Toyota before anything else can go wrong.

3rd Aug 2009, 11:54

Yeah, I'm saving up for an Acura Integra right now. Very solid cars.