2008 Ford Fusion SE 2.3 from North America

Summary:

Unreliable

Oil pan gasket leaked at 17k miles.

Brake master cylinder failed at 20k miles.

A/C failed at 23k miles.

General Comments:

Brake master cylinder failed and was replaced twice ($400). Still the car's brakes will become soft at random. I suspect something is wrong with the ABS HCU.

Air discharge temperature sensor in the A/C failed at 22k miles, leaving me without cooling. It turned out to be a common problem for the Ford Fusion. The sensor itself is like $30, but to replace it you have to take the whole dashboard off, which is about six hours of work. A mechanic would charge about $600 for that.

Gas mileage is very disappointing for this four cylinder car. I am not getting anything near advertised. I get like 17-19 MPG in the city and 24 MPG on the freeway.

The car itself is heavy and underpowered.

The oil change procedure differs from other cars - it has a cartridge oil filter and drain plug behind two flimsy plastic doors. Service station people always break them or forget to put them in place. Also, with a cartridge filter it is possible to not to put an oil filter in and just screw the plug back in. That happened to me - I was running for half a year without an oil filter, to discover that only at the next oil change.

Overall Ford still needs to improve a great deal. The notion that "Ford have improved over last years" and "Fusion is a competitor to Camry" has no substance to it. I also own a Honda Civic, and it did not give me such problems for 10 years of operation. Should have stayed with Japanese cars.

Review Date: 23rd December, 2013

2008 Ford Fusion SE 2.3 from North America

Summary:

It's OK

At 73000 miles I needed to rebuild the transmission. I changed the secondary air injector pump, and secondary range sensor. Still there is something wrong with it, and it won't give me any codes; no nothing.

General Comments:

I like the inside and how it looks, but that's with aftermarket rims and paint, and with a car wash every Friday.

Review Date: 28th June, 2013

1st Jul 2013, 15:36

Pretty much just wear and tear as far as I can tell.

2008 Ford Fusion 6 cylinder from North America

Summary:

Detroit is up to their old tricks again!!

The coils are burning up.

General Comments:

I had to replace the number 4 coil, because the Fusion had a serious miss on that cylinder. After this didn't correct the problem, I took it to the dealer that I bought the car from. The dealer found that all the coils are burning up. He said Ford has instruction out on this problem. They say to replace the 6 coils, 6 spark plugs, and the computer. $1,500. I feel that only a few chosen ones are informed of this common problem.

I really thought that Detroit had learned their lesson over the years, so I thought I would start driving American cars again. Now I have to listen to my wife tell me she told me so, and I should have stayed with Toyota.

Review Date: 11th February, 2012

12th Feb 2012, 22:57

Avoid visiting the dealer unless there's no other option... They charge the highest rates for parts and labour.

13th Feb 2012, 08:45

After researching it, this seems to be a common issue with the V6 engine. That is a very expensive fix now that you are out of warranty. Definitely don't use the dealer though. After your warranty expires, it is time to find a local shop that you can trust to do the right thing. Referrals are a good bet if you don't know anyone.

14th Feb 2012, 20:14

By all means avoid the dealer for such expensive items. You can generally save roughly 85% by doing this work yourself, and it isn't that hard to do. A non-dealer shop will save you from 50% to 70% in most cases. My dealer charges $1016 for a tune-up on the Mustang V-8. I can do it myself for around $80.

As for the V-6 Fusion, I can't fathom why on Earth anyone would buy one anyway. The awesome I-4 is incredibly fast and gets way better MPG. I'm delighted that Ford is dropping the silly (and useless) V-6 in 2013.

15th Feb 2012, 22:30

"My dealer charges $1016 for a tune-up on the Mustang V-8."

That's insane!!!

18th Feb 2012, 11:05

One of my friends was quoted a price of $1600 to change out the clutch slave cylinder on his Ford Ranger by the dealer. This is a 15-minute job. An independent shop did it for only $120. Avoid dealers at all cost!!!