1987 Ford Ranger Reviews - Page 2 of 7

1987 Ford Ranger XLT 2.9L V6 from North America

First year of ownership1992
Engine and transmission 2.9L V6 Manual
Previous carDatsun 610 Wagon

Summary:

I still like the truck and will keep it until the wheels fall off (then I will replace the wheels)!

The heads cracked at 98,000 miles. After much inquiry and research, I found out that this is a common problem with Rangers/Broncos around this year, and that there are aftermarket heads available with thicker castings. I located a set from a company in northern West Virginia and bought them for around $480, and had them installed for around $400. There are noticeable differences in the mating surfaces of the heads that make it easy to verify that you have the thicker castings. Engine has ran fine ever since.

I just noticed that after a hard rain there was a good bit of water in the driver floorboard. After removing the window trim, using a small blade screwdriver to lever the molding away from the mounting clips, I noticed that the seam sealer had cracked and the cab seams were letting water in. I was glad the front glass didn't need removing. By the way, this is not covered under comprehensive insurance claims. I went to O'Reilly Auto Parts and purchased a $9 tube of seam sealer and ran a bead down the drip rail and fingered it into the upper corner of the windshield opening, smoothing all with a fingertip. Also filled the seams that run from the drip rails back to the rear window.

General Comments:

Interestingly, both power window motors and passenger door lock actuator quit within 3 weeks of each other. I can live with that since they are all 22 years old. I am replacing the drivers window motor this weekend.

The 4x4 still works great and the interior is in good shape except for the dash pad in one small place.

I paint it every five years or so and have no rust and no wrecks.

Review Date: 18th January, 2009

1987 Ford Ranger XLT 2.3 from North America

Distance when acquired320000 miles
Previous carChevrolet Camaro

Summary:

Took everything I threw at and asked for more!

Tail lights and signals went out a couple times.

Seats have started to wear.

Muffler rusted out.

General Comments:

I love my Ranger, it's the best thing that I could've stumbled upon.

It's been the most reliable vehicle I've ever come across. That little truck took everything I threw at it and asked for more!

I am currently buying another one, just 4x4 and V6, and not an in-line 4.

I had some small electrical gremlins at first, but after a bit they stopped. Unfortunately the transmission didn't last as long, and my engine and decided to break catastrophically. But I plan on putting another 5-speed in it.

Review Date: 16th July, 2008

1987 Ford Ranger V6 from North America

First year of ownership1992
Most recent year of ownership1994
Engine and transmission V6 Manual
Most recent distance132000 miles
Previous carChevrolet Malibu

Summary:

This Ford was an absolute piece of rolling garbage

Everything. I'll try and list everything I can remember:

- V-6 burned more than a quart of oil a week

- Transmission was hard to get into any gear at all, and loved to pop out of gear over bumps

- Rear differential seized up TWICE

- I replaced every single sensor under the hood; each went bad one at a time

- The truck started in one try about half the time, then would overheat the other half of the time

- Windshield leaked right into my lap every time it rained

- Throwout bearing in clutch assembly squealed all the time

- Clutch slipped and went bad completely

- THREE out of 4 wheels needed wheel bearings replaced during the time I owned this nightmare of a truck

- Emergency brake and hood release stuck in cold weather

- Factory radio worked great, but only if it wasn't raining, then, it didn't work at all

- Manual lock-in hubs for 4 wheel drive never worked right unless I moved the truck back and forth

- Fuel system always clogged up, despite using fuel additives to clean it

- Tailgate fell open occasionally

- I'm sure I'm forgetting some things, but I'm tired of listing this stuff

General Comments:

This Ford piece of junk is a prime example of why they are nearly out of business today. I was 18 and a little naive when I bought this pile of junk. It even failed to start when I tried to test drive it; I should have walked away right then. Actually, I would have been further ahead to have bought either a bicycle, or a good pair of running shoes, because I walked home, or some of the way home, at least 6 or 7 times in a couple of years.

Finally, I wrecked this truck, which was the best thing that could have happened to it. A blessing in disguise. I bought a Toyota truck that same year, and have never had ONE thing go wrong. I wouldn't buy a Ford if they dropped the price of everything they make to $10 per vehicle, which is still more than they're worth.

Review Date: 26th July, 2007

27th Jul 2007, 18:41

Hey dude, you do notice it is 20 years old, duh it will have damn problems, what were you thinking... I would love for you to get in a new Ford, and tell me what you think OK?

29th Jul 2007, 18:21

UHHH, it's not 20 years old... because it's been in the junkyard since about 1994. Read the review. It was about 4 or 5 years off of the assembly line when I bought it used, and it was already complete junk. The only time I sit in a Ford now, after owning one, is if I am the passenger, and I don't even like doing that. I'll never consider buying another one if I live to be 150. They burned me once. Once is shame on them, if I were stupid enough to buy another one and get burnt twice, shame on me. I drive Toyotas now, so I can only laugh when someone suggests I should buy another Ford.