1992 Ford Ranger Sport 2.9L from North America

Summary:

This truck is a mountain of crap

Frame rotted out, had to pay $1,000 to get it fixed.

Brake lines rotted out.

Rotors cracked.

Passenger side windshield wiper stopped working.

Both rear cab mounts rotted out.

Door handles broke.

Engine runs great, but has smoke coming out of it sometimes.

Solenoid went.

Gas gage stopped working.

Gas tank straps rotted out.

Parking brake cable rusted and needed to be replaced.

General Comments:

The truck runs great. The small 2.9L has a lot of power and gets good gas mileage, at least with the 5 speed.

The truck is just so unreliable, it's crazy, and many of these problems are with all Rangers. I know about 10 people with Rangers from various years, and they all have many problems. I would recommend staying as far away from the Ford Ranger as you can, unless you're buying it brand new.

Review Date: 29th March, 2009

23rd Oct 2009, 11:46

I have owned three Rangers within 15 years. The inner door cable problem I have now is the first problem I've had. First a 1988 2.9l, 1992 4.0l, and a 2004 Supercab Ranger, also 4.0l, all automatics and 4x4.

12th Feb 2010, 19:17

Sounds like you bought a beat up/ abused truck.. You cannot negatively review a vehicle of that age based on repair costs.. Any vehicle that old will have some issues.. Yeah, the frames can get weak, and shackles can rot out, and yeah the door handles can have some problems.. but the same can happen to a Chevy, Dodge, or especially a Toyota.

1992 Ford Ranger Custom 3.0L V6 from North America

Summary:

Great all around truck with a small price tag to boot!

Nothing, ever since I bought it all I have had to do is some TLC to the body and a tuneup.

The tailgate is busted and requires a screwdriver to open, which is common with old Rangers. I don't mind though.

General Comments:

The gas mileage isn't bad, but isn't great either. I get around 16-17mpg in the city, and I love how much power the 3.0 L V6 produces. I regularly leave traffic in the dust at lights because of the good acceleration.

The handling isn't bad, and I love how cheap parts are for it, which is another reason I bought it.

I love the fact that it is a small truck with a lot of power as well.

Review Date: 12th June, 2008

1992 Ford Ranger 4x4 reg cab 2.9L from North America

Summary:

Great buy

Freeze plug fell out at 295000 $1.

Rebuilt starter at 320000 $90.

New u-joint on drive shaft at 320000 $15.

New starter at 335000 $180.

Heater works poorly.

Push button 4x4 can take couple pushes.

Locking hubs can freeze in on or off position.

U-joints on front wheels need replacing.

General Comments:

Not much power, good mileage for a truck, 10L/100km.

For the mileage, age and purchase price this car has been great. I've owned some beaters and they all been great. these older vehicles usually have less items to brake down, less cost to fix, and likely broke down on a previous owner.

If your at as mechanical is me, my listed problems could me more annoying to you. the truck has never left me stranded. etests are prefect. the rust is the death of this vehicle.

Review Date: 19th November, 2007

1992 Ford Ranger XLT 4.0L V6 from North America

Summary:

Hope my next little truck works out this well!

Exhaust has been replaced 4 times and needs to be done again.

3 complete brake jobs since I've had it.

Head gasket blew at 45000 miles.

Air conditioning went out at about 60,000 miles - probably from no use.

"Automatic" (electric) front hubs went out at 70000 miles. Replaced with aftermarket manual hubs.

Rear brake line rusted through at 85000 miles.

Rear bumper has major rust issue.

Some paint peeling on the rocker panels and wheel-wells.

4-wheel drive actuator switch (electric) replaced at 110000 miles.

General Comments:

Overall this has been a solid and dependable vehicle. Repairs have been within my expectations for a 4x4 vehicle used daily in a wet coastal environment. The 4.0 L engine has good performance with (I'm told) comparable gas mileage to the smaller V6s.

First thing I did was put two stage leaf springs and shocks in the rear so I could tow a 3500 lb boat - I did that for several years, but would not recommend it. Along with many highway miles, this truck has also hauled many cords of firewood, towed a 17 foot travel trailer up to 5500 feet, and spent a good deal of time off-road, yet still looks surprisingly good.

The ride has always been good (car-like) with plenty of room in front for my 6' 2" 240 lb frame. I have the 60/40 seat, so 3 close friends can and have traveled in front. Back "seat" is OK for small kids, groceries, and dogs - but not recommended for adults or teens en route to football practice.

Review Date: 16th May, 2006

4th Mar 2008, 18:46

I just bought a 1991 Ford Ranger STX 4.0L 4x4 from a friend.

The first thing I did was I went up to my normal mechanic to check all the liquids and do an oil change, and he said he wasn't sure why, but the radiator was completely dry. So he refilled it and I went on my way. Well it worked fine for about 3 weeks; when I checked the radiator myself again and it was bone dry, only it wasn't leaking anywhere, so I refilled it and then went on my way.

Then about 2 weeks after that I was on my way to church and the motor blew, so I stopped in a parking lot and saw that I had blown a rod through the side of the block. So I had my dad tow me back up to my mechanic, and after about 2 days he called me and said there was a crack in the block, which was allowing the radiator fluid go into the oil pan, which flooded the motor, making it so that I had no compression. So I had to pay $400 to get the same motor out of the junkyard, and $1,200 for my mechanic to order all the other parts and to put it in.

So I'm extremely dissatisfied with my Ranger so far.

18th Jan 2012, 18:21

I have had terrible problems with my Ranger as well.