1992 Ford Ranger Reviews

First year of ownership2010
Most recent year of ownership2013
Engine and transmission 4.0ohv Manual
Most recent distance195000 miles

Summary:

It is a great reliable vehicle, getting good gas mileage along with good power

My Dad replaced the alternator when he had it at 125000 miles.

I had to replace the transmission at 165000 miles.

I had to replace the starter at 175000 miles.

I had to replace the rear axle at 182000 miles.

General Comments:

The truck has very good acceleration, getting up to speed very quickly.

It also climbs hills with ease, which is very good in the Rocky Mountains where I live.

The 4.0 is unbeatable, starting on the coldest of days, and runs perfect, even with having almost 200000 miles.

The truck is very reliable and is very cheap to maintain. I would rather take this truck in the woods than any other truck, because I know this truck will keep on kicking and bring me home.

It is very good off road, and I have pushed its limits, tearing up a U joint last year while getting out of a ditch with 3 foot of snow in it. Well I got out by myself; just had to gas it hard

This truck is very easy to work on. My Dad and I have done all the tune ups and fixes on it, and it is a little tight in the engine, but I have seen much, much worse, so no complaints.

I also love the mileage I get. I can drive it like I like to drive, getting around 18 MPG in town, while still getting up to speed quick.

On the highway I get 22 MPG at 70mph, and around 24 at 55 in overdrive. I can't complain about the mileage at all.

It has some lack of comfort, due to a small cab with two small jump seats in the back.

It also lacks airbags, electric windows and locks.

But that is also the best part, it is simple: less to break = less to fix is how I look at it.

Overall this is a great truck, which I recommend to anyone who wants a reliable vehicle.

Review Date: 30th January, 2013

1992 Ford Ranger Sport 3.0 V6 from North America

First year of ownership2011
Most recent year of ownership2011
Engine and transmission 3.0 V6 Manual

Summary:

A solid small pickup

Nothing so far.

General Comments:

It was poorly maintained by the last owner, I bought it cheap so I had a truck when I needed one. I have put about $500 worth of parts into it to get it to a decent drivable state.

The frame is in excellent shape for spending its life in the northeast, the body is good for its age. I sold my 77 F-100, it was more truck than I needed, this Ranger is a good size for me, just wish it was an extended cab.

Fuel economy seems rather good, not sure what I'm getting, but I would guess about 23-24.

Review Date: 5th January, 2012

1992 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab 3.0 6 cylinder from North America

Engine and transmission 3.0 6 cylinder Automatic

Summary:

Great for work and play. Love it

Replaced muffler system, new alternator, new tires, brake line, front end rod, and oil gauge never worked.

General Comments:

What I listed above is nothing. The truck is awesome, I love it. I paid $1800, put in not at 1 time, maybe $1.000. The truck has 400.000 miles, and still works and plays hard. Love mine. Two thumbs up for my Ranger.

Review Date: 21st December, 2010

1992 Ford Ranger XLT 2.3L 4 cylinder from North America

Year of manufacture1991
Engine and transmission 2.3L 4 cylinder Manual

Summary:

A great little truck. Perfect for anyone

Typical cosmetic wear/damage to interior and exterior.

Paint on hood and roof (mostly along the middle) is chipping/flaking off.

Driver-side door will not open from inside. (It did when I first bought it. It is a cable I haven't gotten around to replacing).

Reverse gear cage bearing failed, locking the transmission (approximately 150,000 miles). Repaired myself for $24.00 in parts and probably 4 hours work.

General Comments:

This truck is small but solid. Until the reverse-gear bearing failed, I had had no problems with it.

Easy to work on/maintain.

Decent on gas.

Inexpensive to repair (if doing the work yourself. I cannot comment on having it repaired by someone else.)

The extended cab is nice and allows you to substantially recline the driver and passenger seats.

Review Date: 3rd December, 2010