1992 Ford Ranger xlt 4 cylinder from North America

Summary:

It is the greatest truck I've ever owned

I have had few problems with it, but some.

I have replaced the driver side washer in the hub, replaced the filler neck and both parking brake cable and inside door cable snapped within the first month.

When I bought it it had very bad rust on the outside.

General Comments:

The trucks motor ran very strong.

The trucks seats were very uncomfortable so I switched them out for 98 Ranger seats.

The truck is great I will drive it till the motor drops out and then some.

For a 4 cylinder the truck has a lot of power.

I love the 5 speed that it has in it. It's very quick.

Review Date: 19th July, 2010

1992 Ford Ranger XLT 2.9 V6 from North America

Summary:

Awesome truck

At 198,000 I replaced the tires with brand new Grabber At/2's and had an alignment done because winter was coming..

At about 200,000 I replaced the alternator.

That's about it.

General Comments:

The 2.9 has good power, I don't get where people say they're under powered.. at least my 5spd truck has a good amount.. with almost 202,000 miles, the truck starts and runs just like it should.. drives great for a '92, and the stock radio is good too..

I've pulled people out of ditches, drove thru snowbanks when the plow guys decided to plow the bank across the road 1 day, and other than breaking the grille a little more than it was, didn't hurt a thing... drove snow covered roads with no issues in 4x4, sometimes it's fun to take it out of 4x4 and see just how bad the roads are.. it's not the best in the snow in 2WD, 4x4 is much better, but it's probably due to the high center of gravity...

I did take the truck off the road a month ago, but only because I bought a '98 Ranger 2WD for the summer

Review Date: 26th April, 2009

24th Dec 2009, 17:38

Me thinks the compression is gone in my 2.9 ha ha. Rolls away on me in gear.. all new in tranny. But at 66657 miles and still going.. I'm impressed, yes that's real miles.. and I'm still putting them on.. LOL. But I gotta put a block behind the wheels when I stop.

25th Dec 2009, 11:43

66K miles and you're impressed?

25th Dec 2009, 18:38

66,657 miles? That's it? And you're already losing compression and have replaced the transmission? That's not good at all. My current vehicle (a Plymouth Neon) has over 86,000 miles on it now, and it hasn't had any of the problems your truck has at only 66,000 miles. My first car (a '74 Civic) had over 500,000 miles on original everything. Dump that clunker.

24th Dec 2012, 20:13

The odometer rolls over after 100k miles on these trucks. This poster likely has 166,657 miles. More likely 266,657. My '92 Ranger reads 58,000 on the odometer with an actual mileage of 258,000 (about 12,000 miles a year).

1992 Ford Ranger 3.0 from North America

Summary:

Great, and greater for those who work on and service their own vehicles!!

Clutch, a given with any manual with 250,000 miles on the transmission.

The brake caliper went out, and again, it's been through a lot of miles.

General Comments:

The truck is a great truck. It's been taken care of by previous owners. The truck itself has 263,000 miles on it, but the engine was voluntarily rebuilt after 200,000 miles without any previous problems.

I've worked on this truck twice. Once was to replace the slave cylinder, and while working on it I replaced the clutch. The clutch was slightly damaged from the pilot bearing disintegrating. I have no mechanical experience really, aside from changing oil, and was able to all that work over one weekend. I did have an uncle loan me his shop and occasionally oversee my work, but I found the experience rewarding! The truck has ran great ever since, and again, bear in mind the transmission had about 253,000 miles on it.

The second time I had to work on it was at 263,000 miles. The brake caliper had went out on the front passenger side. When I went to work on it, I was armed to the teeth with tools ready to tackle this job. When I got the tire off, I was surprised to find the caliper was held on by two pins that had to be hammered out. Upon removing the caliper, the brakes came of with ease, sliding out of their once compressed places. I had everything back on and ready to go with in an hour, and that's including the trip to the auto parts store!

The truck drives great, and with its 3.0 V-6 it has all the power and more that a small truck needs, and gets great gas mileage (about 20mpg).

In all, this truck is a GREAT truck, and even greater for those who prefer to work on and service their own vehicles. The only thing I wish is that it was 4wd.

Review Date: 26th April, 2009