1992 Ford Taurus L 3.0 V6 Overdrive from North America

Aced the test

Nothing major, just general maintenance. Brakes, rotors, tires, idle controller, "Low Fuel" light quit working (never fixed). The car's needed motor mounts and new shocks since we bought it and needed a new power steering assembly as well (had a slow leak).

General Comments:

What can I say? It's been a great car. We've all been impressed by the reliability. Wasn't the most exciting car to drive, but it did it's job well. Ours was originally a government fleet car for the Department of Natural Resources, so the car had been well maintained over the years and we had all the records. It was the basic model Taurus for that year, but had everything you'd need. (Air bag, power mirrors, ect). We've had the car a few years now and nobody's been easy on it. It took a lot of punishment and kept going. I'm sure it would have made it over 200,000. This car was involved in a hit-and-run accident. I was rear-ended by a large utility truck and the other driver sped off. The car had been rear-ended a couple previous times and never showed damage, but what car will survive a 50 MPH impact at a standstill from a large truck? The rear end was destroyed and the car was totalled. (Still made it home though) This car was built very well, I walked away unscratched from the whole thing. This car was a bargain for $1,200 (US) and I'd buy another one in a heartbeat.

Review Date: 6th February, 2003

1992 Ford Taurus LX 3.8 Liter from North America

Great ride and performance for a sedan

Radiator side tank started leaking at 143,000.

Transaxle pan leaks and still leaks even after several fluid and filter changes.

There is a loud clunking noise in the front suspension and I'm unable to find the problem.

The engine uses 1 guart of oil for every 1 thousand miles, but it doesn't smoke.

General Comments:

The car has very quick acceleration from a stand still, will roll smoke from the front tires.

Passing other vehicles is no problem under wide open throttle.

The car will peg the 85mph speedometer, needle hits the over-drive selector and stops moving.

The trans-axle will still downshift from over-drive to third gear, even at 85 mph.

ABS brakes are great and it will stop on a dime.

Review Date: 30th January, 2003

30th Aug 2003, 09:55

I'd be checking your head gasket on it if I were you.

1992 Ford Taurus GL 3.0L from North America

Feels like under 50K miles, not 200K

Broke 2 motor mounts

Cracked radiator (plastic part)

Water Pump

Cooling fan

Passenger side mirror.

General Comments:

I love this car and it pains me to see that the end may be near. The seats are really comfortable, even on long trips. It takes off like a rocket, despite the nearly 200000 miles on the engine. The engine has NEVER had any work done on it. Motor mounts are a common failure on these Tauruses. The car began to overheat last summer right after I had replaced the radiator. I replaced the cooling fan with one I found in a junk yard ($5) and it hasn't overheated since. The water pump was only about $30 brand new, which was a great relief. The power steering pump whines pretty loudly, but it has been doing that longer than I can remember and it still works fine. Lately, it's the little things that make me want to get rid of it. The front and rear bumpers have been hit so many times they practically drag on the ground. The windshield washer/wiper switch is fouled up and only works properly when the left turn signal is on. I've been blowing hoses very frequently, which could mean a head gasket leak is allowing exhaust into the cooling system. Overall, this car has had a great last 25000 miles. I'm sure it would be hard to sell with its high mileage, so I plan on keeping it running long enough for it to serve as a trade-in on a new vehicle.

Review Date: 7th January, 2003