1992 Ford Taurus LX 3.8L from North America

It has been a good reliable car

Moonroof gasket replaced 3 times (finally did it myself and it's now sealing properly).

Transmission replaced 70,000.

Radiator at 71,000.

Steering gear (rack & pinion) and pump at 80,000.

Alternator at 110,000.

Air conditioning compressor and condenser at 130,000.

Struts and half shafts at 135,000.

Seats redone at 115,000.

Vacuum hose replacement at 117,000 (idle problem).

Tie rod ends 120,000.

Repainted roof and trunk 130,000.

General Comments:

I have had the car since new. I bought it for my wife because it had dual air bags and a decent sound system. She drove it 65,000 miles.

My daughter took it to college across the country and put another 40,000 on it. That was in 2001. I have had it since as my daily driver. It now has 138,000 miles.

On balance, it has been a good reliable car. The transmission was a Ford design problem, otherwise reliability has been acceptable. I do most of my own work, and find parts available at reasonable cost.

I like the way it handles and rides.

I do not see many early Tauruses on the road due to the transmission and cylinder head problems. When you do, they are in very good condition. Overall a B+.

Review Date: 28th October, 2007

1992 Ford Taurus SHO MTX 3.0L from North America

Ford did it again with a production sedan

Nothing has gone wrong with the car; it is what it was intended to be, and is in excellent condition still.

General Comments:

This car is very fun to drive, with the manual transmission and the great handling it provides.

Seats are comfortable and spacious.

Review Date: 10th July, 2007

1992 Ford Taurus GL 3.0L V6 from North America

A reliable no frills A-to-B vehicle

At 145,000 miles, the radiator needed replacement. This was due to my mother driving it without coolant and ignoring the temperature gauge and I do not blame the vehicle itself.

At 150,000 miles, the front end needed an alignment.

At 160,000 miles, the starter needed replaced.

Half the rear defroster lines don't work.

The brakes are spongy.

General Comments:

This car was purchased new in 1992 and has been passed down from parent to child. I am the 3rd owner.

The only maintenance it receives are scheduled oil changes and repairs when a problem is made appearant.

The interior is comfortable, but cramped when holding 4 or 5 people.

I have averaged between 30 and 25 MPG.

Handling is not very tight, nor are the brakes. It's not designed to drive very fast at all, but is capable of 105mph without after-market enhancements.

After 14 years of service it has mild rust, and the engine is not as powerful as it used to be. Despite this, it has remained a reliable car and could very well last another generation in my family.

Review Date: 16th December, 2006

7th Aug 2012, 00:06

The 3.0L V6 shuts off at 110 mph. It may take a month to get there, but it does!!! :-)

1992 Ford Taurus GL 3.0 from North America

It has been fairly good to me

I am a teenager, and after I got the car from my Uncle, some things started to go wrong. With the first oil change I had to repair the radiator, and the tires. Then a couple of months later I had to replace the tires, and spark plugs. When I change the oil every 3,000 miles it is blacker than coal. Also I don't know if the brakes have ever been checked. The seats are sort of faded and so is the dashboard.

General Comments:

Other than these things my car has been pretty good to me. I hope that it stays this way, because I am only a Senior in high school and I can't afford a different one. I hope I can afford a differnt car soon, if I am able.

Review Date: 16th September, 2006

1992 Ford Taurus L 3.8 from North America

Best car I ever owned

Nothing has gone seriously wrong with this car! I have been really lucky, no major problems at all!

Replace the tires every season as we live in the north, lots of snow. Do the usual maintenance, oil change etc..

Have replaced the brakes twice.

General Comments:

This has to be the best car overall I have ever owned. still gets over 30 miles to gallon,that's just driving around town and back and forth to work.

Long highway driving gets almost 40 miles to the gallon. This car is very comfortable to drive and handles good. Paid $3,000 for it in 2003 and was worth every dollar then some!

Review Date: 8th September, 2006