1992 Ford Taurus GL 3.0 V6 from North America

Stylish, Good Performance, Reliable, but costly to maintain

The same week I purchased the car from a Ford dealership, the water pump went out (about 67,000 miles).

Shortly thereafter, I had to replace the starter and the radiator (both before 75,000 miles).

I constantly had expensive repairs to replace the brakes. Every time I took the car to get the brake pads replaced, something was damaged with the break system and the repairs were always $300 or $400.

The rear brake lights also went out several times - there was some sort of wiring problem that could never seem to get fixed. I got tired of spending the money trying to fix it, so I just adjusted to driving with no rear brake lights.

The heater core went out at around 150,000 miles, but I never fixed this as it would have been several hundred dollars (I am from Arizona - not that cold anyway!).

And there were several other items that went out such as the cruise control, the windshield wipers, etc. (all of these started to fail at around 100,000 miles - some I fixed, some I didn't).

Service records before I purchased the car indicated that the transmission had been replaced at about 60,000 miles. The other repairs listed were mostly routine maintenance.

General Comments:

It's a mixed review for me. I loved this car when I bought it. I had just got married and was planning to start a family and this car's styling was a nice mix of a family sedan, yet still with a sporty look. I was impressed with the car's power, it would definitely get up and move for a sedan. A lot of strong acceleration for passing too. And the ride was very comfortable. So high points for styling and comfort. Plus despite all the problems I had with the car, it did last up to 190,000 miles and was still running albeit not as well as before, when I traded it in on a Nissan Altima.

On the negative side, there were problems that seemed to not get fixed (i.e. the brake lights, break system) these things were constant annoyances and quite expensive in terms of the break system. However, the car was reliable in that it started up every time. And durable, lasting 190,000 miles plus. And I did drive the car hard, putting 130,000 miles on it in less than 6 years including vacations from Arizona to California and from Arizona to Texas.

Review Date: 13th February, 2006

1992 Ford Taurus SHO 3.0L from North America

Overall, if you can find a well taken care of SHO in good condition, it's a great car

Brakes caliper in right rear froze up, water pump leaking slighty, rie-rod ends worn and electrical seat adjustment failed.

General Comments:

Great car for the history. I purchased the car with amazing mileage and have taken great care of it. With almost 90K miles, the original rotors are still on and in great shape.

Car handles great for a stock sedan.

Seats are comfortable, but the leather is wearing, but what do you expect from a 13 year old car?!

Engine is still running strong, great acceleration.

Review Date: 7th October, 2005

1992 Ford Taurus L 3.8 police engine from North America

It's worth more than I paid for it

I have had no major problems, first the transmission was acting up. So I took it to a transmission shop, just like any other shop they are all crooks. told me I need to spend $2,000 for a rebuild. I knew I didn't' need that. So I went home and fixed it myself, all it took was a vehicle speed sensor for $20 and the car runs like NEW! If you have a ford taurus around 92 model with transmission problems, this would be the first thing you want to change- the vehicle speed sensor, don't' rebuild it like the transmission shop crooks tell you.

General Comments:

I drive this car about 800miles a month, that might be a lot for some people, but I do. I have had no problems with it. Maybe because it's a police model? but some people have wrote they have 70k miles on it and it's falling apart, well my taurus has 132000 and it runs like a new car.

Interior is still in new condition, no rips no fading, the dash board in perfect condition. steering is tight, acceleration is great.

Review Date: 7th May, 2005

1st May 2009, 17:40

Fixing automatic transmissions is a "Black Art". Prevention is worth a pound of cure and that's why this person's car is in good shape still. I will be the first to agree that most foreign cars are more durable, but in 2009 you really are not getting more reliability by getting a new, foreign car.

Most mechanics are crooks as well. Find a good one and stick with them, your life will be less complicated. People should really learn what it takes to maintain cars properly.

4th Nov 2010, 22:43

I just recently laid a 92 3.8 Taurus to rest. It had 277,000 on it and still ran good, sure it used a little oil (1qt every 3,000), but with this many miles, anything would. It's being made into toasters as we speak.