1992 Ford Taurus GL 3.0 liter V6 from North America

A large, but unreliable family sedan

Leaks coolant and oil. Oil was dripping onto a hot piece of metal and making an incredibly acrid smell. Check engine light came on for coolant tank, which was replaced.

2 broken CV joints. First was my fault, but the second one broke after I shifted from reverse into drive.

Starter motor and alternator have both died.

Fuel pump died.

Oxygen sensors went bad and were replaced.

Brakes squeal anytime I came to a stop. Rotors have warped very quickly, even under relatively light braking.

General Comments:

This car has had quite some problems with it.

Some of them are no doubt my fault as I abused the car pretty heavily, but some of the problems I attribute to shoddy electrical parts and craftsmanship.

For all its mechanical problems, the car was reasonably comfortable. Interior had very few problems. Very good trunk and interior space.

Performance is sub-par, despite a V6. The inline-4 cylinder in my friend's Accord puts out more horsepower and torque than this thing, despite being a smaller displacement. Handling is less than stellar. This thing has a tendency to fishtail at high speeds. From the perspective of someone that enjoys to drive their car, this thing just doesn't deliver.

Overall, I have been less than pleased with my Ford Taurus. Its low performance, coupled with its numerous mechanical problems has left a sour taste in my mouth regarding domestic cars nowadays. I much prefer my Toyota Camry, thank you.

Review Date: 14th May, 2004

1992 Ford Taurus L 4dr Sedan 3.0L from North America

The mother of all lemons

What has gone wrong with the car? What hasn't gone wrong? I just bought the car from the dealer & noticed it was leaking rad fluid. Note the prices I'm listing are including labor at the garage in Canadian funds.

New rad $ 500.00.

Dealer put in wrong battery (to small) for this car.

New battery = 80.00.

This vehicle seems to be very hard on starters & alternators: Need replacing about every 4 months.

3 starters x 250. = 750.

2 Alternators x 200 = 400.

Needed new tires! And oil pan needs replacing because it is paper thin. $600 total.

Looks like something is wrong with the electrical system as when the car is in neutral or park it will stall. The mechanic after doing many tests on the car (with no change) thinks the computer chip is gone.

Used computer chip = $100.

I also took the car in once for a recall on the sub frame.

Muffler rusted out.

New muffler $40.

The heat does not work very well, always seems cold in the car. Heater core gone maybe???

The a/c didn't work from the day I got the car.

The car is off the road now. I've noticed the trim on the sides is peeling off. The car is beginning to rust.

General Comments:

I found this was not a dependable vehicle & I only put around 15,000km/year on it! The only thing good thing about this car is that if your are a handy person there are pleny of taurus at the scrap yard for parts. Seriously though save your $$$$, this vehicle is a lemon.

Review Date: 12th May, 2004

1992 Ford Taurus L V6 3.8 Liter from North America

An aesthetic and mechanical winner!

General Comments:

My Ford Taurus station wagon is such a pleasant car that I intended to drive it until it quit. Unfortunately, while it was parked, someone performed a hit-and-run on it that left it totaled.

I purchased this vehicle used because it seemed to have more power than newer models and that never diminished.

My no negative and many very positive experience with this vehicle will be a major factor in my next purchase.

Review Date: 29th April, 2004

1992 Ford Taurus LX 3.8 V6 from North America

The best car I have ever bought

Nothing on the car has gone wrong, besides needing a new battery.

Seats just recently started to wear after all the time I've owned it.

General Comments:

This car can get up and go with the best.

However if the rear tires go bald the rear end will slide around, because the rear end is too light.

Review Date: 23rd February, 2004