1994 Ford Thunderbird Reviews

1994 Ford Thunderbird LX 4.6L gas from North America

Most recent year of ownership2011
Engine and transmission 4.6L gas Automatic
Most recent distance207853 miles

Summary:

A reliable rocket ship

Just normal general maintenance stuff.

Doing oil changes is a total pain. It's very hard getting at the oil filter, removing it and installing a new one. I am use to unobstructed oil filters that just drop down. Not this one. You have to work with it a bit due to many obstructions.

General Comments:

I love the car's handling and performance. Very fun to drive.

Gas mileage is great, given that it's a V8 and I drive very assertively.

Has 4 wheel independent suspension and 4 wheel discs.

The 4.6 liter V8 is very powerful and reliable with proper maintenance. I am at 207,853 and the engine runs like new. Purrs like just like a new one.

Factory A/C is still freezing cold here in the desert. Cruises 80 mph at 2100 rpm. Nice ;)

A Thunderbird in great shape with low miles and with the V8 will run about $3,000. If you can find one, buy it. Maintain it, and you won't be sorry!!

Review Date: 3rd January, 2011

1994 Ford Thunderbird LX 4.6 SOHC from North America

Engine and transmission 4.6 SOHC Automatic
Most recent distance142000 miles
Previous carFord F150

Summary:

Reliable, comfortable car that I plan on keeping for a while

Odometer and trip counter do not work. From what I have researched on the Internet, I need to replace a gear on the speedometer mechanism.

Intermittent check engine light - I've taken the car to a local, reputable mechanic, and he replaced a couple of sensors and cleaned the induction system. The check engine light is off for now.

The paint on the top surfaces of the car is badly oxidized.

General Comments:

I traded some lawn care maintenance for this one-owner car. Mechanically the car has been well cared for. The 4.6 SOHC engine runs strong and uses no oil.

This car is at least as comfortable as my wife's 1996 Lexus LS-400. I plan on driving this car for a while, even though I can afford to purchase almost any car I want. This one is a keeper.

Review Date: 8th July, 2010

1994 Ford Thunderbird LX 4.6 from North America

Previous carFord F150

Summary:

It is a great daily driver that, if necessary, I would drive anywhere in the country

The check engine light keeps coming on. I have taken the car to a reputable, local mechanic and had the sensors replaced and the induction system cleaned. The light will remain off for a short time, but comes back on after a short period of time.

The odometer and trip counter do not work. I've read on the Internet that there is a plastic gear that has failed and needs to be replaced.

General Comments:

I took this car on trade for some lawn services. I use the car as a commuter car to and from and work. It is very comfortable - it is at least as comfortable as my wife's '96 Lexus LS-400 and has a smooth ride.

The body is in excellent shape with no rust or damage, but does need to be painted. I love the body lines of this car.

The interior is very user-friendly.

Review Date: 6th July, 2010

1994 Ford Thunderbird LX 4.6L from North America

First year of ownership1994
Engine and transmission 4.6L Automatic

Summary:

I love it more than any car I have owned

Paint was redone in 2007 due to oxidation.

Replaced intake gasket and hose at 100,000 miles.

General Comments:

V-8 is very peppy and responds well to my heavy foot. Fuel economy is not too bad. Averaging 25 mpg.

Handles like a true sports car. I love to drive it on winding roads, as it hugs the curves very well.

Interior is comfortable if you are in the front. Back seat is really cramped.

Not a good car on wet or icy roads. Too much power to the rear wheels.

Review Date: 18th May, 2009

1994 Ford Thunderbird LX 3.8 Liter from North America

Engine and transmission 3.8 Liter Automatic
Previous carChevrolet Malibu

Summary:

If you can find one cheap, and in good shape buy it!

Brakes/Rotors at 125,000.

Thermostat at 126,000.

Fuel Pump/Strainer/Fuel Filter at 136,000.

Transmission developed a shudder at 90,000 miles. It is starting to hang at 137,000.

Paint was oxidized when I bought it. Paint faded.

Power Antennq doesn't go down.

Cruise Control & Horn fuse blew constantly.

General Comments:

I bought this car at 80,000 miles for 1600 and drove it back and forth to Lancaster, PA from Sunbury, PA every week for two years. As well as driving to work. Now I drive it to work and around.

Car has exceptional handling for such a large car. The car is extremely driver comfortable and the seats rock. Extremely comfortable car, if you are the driver. It sucks for a passenger though.

The 3.8L is a little bit of a gas hog for it's horsepower/torque. Car doesn't accelerate fast enough.

Engine is amazing, I never had a problem with the engine it's always been the transmission.

This has been the best car I've ever owned, and only recently have things gone wrong with it.

Review Date: 18th June, 2008

6th Nov 2008, 05:28

Could you provide details on:

"Pump/Strainer/Fuel Filter at 136,000."

I have a chronic lean condition in a 94 Thunderbird LX.

I have fixed PCV vacuum leak, changed fuel filter, cleaned MAF, cleaned/tested/inspected the entire EGR system from exhaust manifold to and including the ports in the intake manifold, inspected and tested all temp sensors, and the last time I checked the fuel pressure it was on the weak side of the spec. Also the check valve in the fuel pump seems to lose pressure on cold start up.

I talked to the parts store and they said the fuel pump is not a big seller.

Before I go through the hassle of dropping the tank, I would like to know if anybody else has had this problem.

Thank You.