1994 Ford Thunderbird Reviews - Page 2 of 12

First year of ownership1999
Engine and transmission 4.6L Automatic
Most recent distance192000 kilometres
Previous carChevrolet Blazer

Summary:

Wish Ford still manufactured this car

General Comments:

The only items I have had to replace are the spark plugs and wires. This car is by far one of the best cars I have ever owned. Comfort, reliable, great fuel mileage and a look this is still an eye catcher. I have always like mid sized coupes and really wish Ford had not dropped this body style for the retro two seater. Today, Ford does not make a coupe that attracts me, so with the miles I have on this car, I can either find a new engine and trans or go to another manufacture. I will probably opt for the engine and trans. No question in my mind, best mid sized luxury car of the 90's.

Review Date: 1st December, 2006

1994 Ford Thunderbird LX 4.6 from North America

Year of manufacture1994
First year of ownership1994
Most recent distance232000 miles
Previous carOldsmobile Delta 88

Summary:

Still fun and very hard to convince yourself to get a new car after this one

The Transmission's torque converter went bad at 150,000 miles.

I also had the hinge break on the drivers door at 200,000 miles and a water pump go at 190,000.

All told I figure I have put maybe $2,500 into this car over the 11 years I have owned it.

General Comments:

Still a fast and very fun car to drive after 11 years.

Corners like a moose and nose dives severely when braking heavy.

Very comfortable interior and great dash, but lousy idea for the cupholder (it's in the center console's arm rest).

Review Date: 7th October, 2005

1994 Ford Thunderbird LX 3.8 from North America

Year of manufacture1993
Distance when acquired200000 miles
Most recent distance205000 miles
Previous carHonda Civic

Summary:

This model is infamous for unreliability.

The head gaskets blew at 202,000 miles. This is a typical 3.8 problem that I have found out about the hard way. I bought a 1994 Lincoln with the same engine and it blew gaskets this week (101,000 miles) as well.

The air conditioning leaked badly and quit altogether. A/C flywheel seized up on the highway making a mess of the serpentine belt.

Driver's door lock mechanism broke and fell inside door. Now we have to open car from passenger side.

General Comments:

A very comfortable car for the few months I had it. Gave it to my sister and she has had all the above problems.

From the testimonies I've seen on the web, this engine was one of the worst ever made.

Now we have two head gasket repair jobs to pay for, at $1000-$1500 each, or junk the cars.

If it weren't for the reliability issues with the 3.8 V-6 engines, these cars (94 T-bird and 94 Continental) would probably hold their values a lot better. At this point, it makes little financial sense to repair either.

Review Date: 20th March, 2005

20th Mar 2005, 13:12

Don't spend any more money on this brick. Send it to the

Big Junkyard down below.

16th Oct 2009, 09:31

The mileage is right for blowing a head gasket on almost any car... when you bought it, it was a ten year old car though. Needing these kinds of repairs is not uncommon for any vehicle to need it. If you haven't scrapped or junked it yet though, go ahead and do not get the gasket job done. Instead go to a junk yard, find a 5.0 Mustang and take the transmission and motor from that since either way, it will cost you the same amount, might as well get some more power out of it.

1994 Ford Thunderbird LX V8 from North America

Year of manufacture1993
First year of ownership1994
Most recent year of ownership2002
Engine and transmission V8 Automatic
Previous carMercury Cougar

Summary:

This T-bird truly lived up to its T-bird heritage!

The transmission started slipping right before the 36k warranty expired. It was fixed in one week, and needed to be reworked a few months later.

The battery seemed to fail much before the supposed lifetime.

Mysterious oil leak and/or consumption started at about 100,000

Front seats badly worn.

When rather new, but out of warranty, coolant leaked into the passenger compartment.400 repair, which a neighbor fixed for 20 bucks by plugging the heater up!

Mind you, I owned the car for 8 years an 147,000 miles! And these were hard, fast, rubber-burning, wheel spinning miles!

General Comments:

From the moment I saw the 1994 Ford with its driver oriented dash, taupe exterior/interior in leather I knew I had to have it.

All the years I had it, people could not believe it was a Ford. Somehow, it exuded elegance. I was asked all kinds of questions at gas stations, parking lots, etc. A mechanic deemed it more classy and comfortable than other more luxurious cars.

Power everything, leather, all for 16k in 1994.

The engine, to this day is seamless and quiet.

The transmission seemed sluggish and rough, especially as the car aged.

Quiet car, nice ride, tight handling, but a bit firm over the bumps.

The a/c proved more than adequate for the South Florida summers.

This car is built like a tank. It was hit twice and not even a scratch.

Fast, but not as quick as I was expecting. 0 to 60 in about 8 seconds.

While it embarrassed lots of other cars, I was put to shame by a few very unassuming cars, one being a Ford, the other a Buick!,

Speed limited at about 105. It saw 105 or thereabouts regularly!

Unfortunately, the car did not hold up as well as I would have liked.

It's still running. My dad has it, but I still consider this "my" car.

Review Date: 26th February, 2005