1994 Ford Thunderbird Reviews - Page 9 of 12

First year of ownership1997
Most recent year of ownership2002
Engine and transmission 4.6 V8 Automatic
Previous carFord Thunderbird

The original tires were Firestones, they really sucked. Replaced with Michelin X-ones, and the ride and traction improved.

2001 - Had passengers side door skin replaced after some clowns attempted to steal the radio (Alpine with Boston speakers) and damaged the door. Had to have the driver's door realigned winter 2001/02 and was a $60.00 set back.

When bought in 97 the transmission had a shake when shifting, the dealer corrected it by replacing the filter and changing out the fluid. Dealer said it was a common problem and this was an easy fix for it.

General Comments:

All and all the car is great I would buy another. I wanted to purchase a 97 but could not see the payments so I bought this one used. I drive about 500 miles on the highway every two months and the ride is great over the country roads of Kansas and the Interstate system.

The X-ones really helped the ride and handling of the car, I couldn't believe it.

Replaced the console insert with another from the 97 so you can use the armrest AND the cup holders.

The V-6's were dogs, stay away from them unless you get the late model 96-97s. The V-8 really rocks and is still respectable even now. But at 205HP and 4,000lbs of car, it's a bit of a boulevard cruiser.

Review Date: 1st March, 2002

1994 Ford Thunderbird LX 3.8 V6 from North America

First year of ownership1999
Most recent year of ownership2002
Engine and transmission 3.8 V6 Automatic
Previous carChevrolet S-10

Summary:

This is a reliable sporty looking car

The only real complaint I have with the car is the paint. The paint on the trunk has started to chip off. You can see the primer through the paint.

Other than the paint, the only thing that bothers me is the headlights. I've heard people talking about the headlights blowing out, but I haven't had this problem. I also had a small slip in the transmission, but that was easily fixed.

General Comments:

This is a great reliable car. It handles great and it really hugs the turns.

It has extremely comfortable seats and plenty of room, the only flaw is the engine - I wish the engine had some more power for hills. I also think that dual exhaust would have been a nice feature, but that's just my opinion. I think that this is one of the best Ford cars you can buy.

Review Date: 18th January, 2002

1994 Ford Thunderbird LX 4.6L V8 from North America

Most recent year of ownership2001
Engine and transmission 4.6L V8 Automatic
Previous carFord Thunderbird

Summary:

It's one awesome automobile

It had one accident before I got the car and was rebuilt, there are no scratches on it, and it has a perfect engine. Though the driver's side window slides sometimes, but I'm getting that fixed.

General Comments:

I've only been beat in a race one time by a 94 mark 8, but it had 4 overhead cams. I'm hoping to get a supercharger for it. Then we will see who's faster.

It's very comfortable and rides very nice.

Review Date: 11th October, 2001

1994 Ford Thunderbird LX 3.8 Liter V6 from North America

First year of ownership1994
Most recent year of ownership2001
Engine and transmission 3.8 Liter V6 Automatic
Previous carFord Escort

Summary:

A masterpiece of flawed engineering!

Paint began to fade after only two years.

Transmission went out at 59,000 miles.

Coolant loss and smell of burning coolant which is indicative of head-gasket failure.

Car has pulled to the right since new. Numerous alignments never helped this problem.

Left rear turn signal bulb blows every couple of months.

In drive, the car know vibrates at idle, like whenever you're sitting at a stoplight.

General Comments:

My biggest complaint is the bad customer service Ford provides.

The paint fading problem has been a real pain. Ford would only repaint the areas that were fading. Roof and trunk. Hood began to fade so Ford repainted only the hood. Right rear quarter panel, same story. Now the right side quarter panel and door is heavily fading, but Ford says too much time has passed and they won't cover it. We brought up the fact that this was a known problem and why couldn't they just paint our whole car before it faded all over. Ford wouldn't do it.

These cars are geared WAY too tall. Brakes wear out prematurely because you have to constantly ride them, especially in medium freeway traffic.

Don't give your hard earned dollars to a company that doesn't care about its customers. I'm a third generation Ford owner, and the trend stops with me.

My family deserves better than Ford.

Review Date: 3rd October, 2001