1997 Honda Accord Reviews - Page 10 of 14

1997 Honda Accord SE 2.2 liter 4 cylinder from North America

Engine and transmission 2.2 liter 4 cylinder Automatic
Most recent distance219126 miles
Previous carChevrolet Corsica

Summary:

Keeps running, & running, & running...

I had to replace the muffler at 52,857 miles. This was somewhat costly as the whole thing was replaced ($400).

Other than that from 44,500 miles (when I bought it) until right now at nearly 220,000 miles all the other work has been regular maintenance (i.e. new belts, oil changes, tires, tune-ups, brakes, and replacing of fluids in the car). That is it as I keep ALL my receipts and I document everything.

This has been an dream car and performs every day like it is still brand new and the interior and exterior still looks like new!!

General Comments:

I am on the same engine, transmission, and everything else is original. Since 2001 until now I have spent only $4,400 dollars on all maintenance, tires, repairs, and etc. This includes oil regular oil changes at every 5,000 to 6,000 miles, 3 full sets of tires, belts, brakes, tune-ups and other maintenance work. I have been told by several mechanics that the average person should spend $2,000 to $3,000 each year. Well I have spent $4,400 in 4 years.

I drive this 1997 Honda very hard. I drive fast, pass nearly everyone on the road, take corners fast, brake very hard, but I drive in control. I put this engine and tranny to the test everyday. It all still works great and I plan on keeping until at least 500,000 miles when maybe I will get another car; maybe.

I suggest a Honda Accord to anyone looking for dependability. My uncle owns a 1996 Honda with 280,000 and his just keeps on running and looks great.

I have driven a Camry,a Taurus, a Sonata, and others and they just do not stack up to this car.

Maybe the Space Shuttle should be made by Honda; they would not have all those problems! Oh and what is funny is these Honda's have more Amercian parts in them than Fords/Chev/GMC have in them. Go figure?? Buy American -- buy Honda!!

Review Date: 15th October, 2005

Year of manufacture1996
Previous carGeo Storm

Summary:

This car is awesome

The locks click when you lock the doors. This caused the battery to run down. Does anyone know how to alleviate this problem?

General Comments:

I love this car. It looks good and runs good. I would definitely buy another Honda.

Review Date: 8th October, 2005

Year of manufacture1996
Previous carGeo Storm

Summary:

Very reliable

Replaced battery.

Door locks click all of the time when it is locked.

General Comments:

I really like my Honda. I would most definitely buy another one. I would just like to know if any one knows how to remedy the locks clicking.

Review Date: 21st September, 2005

Year of manufacture1997

Summary:

She does what we want her to do

We had to replace the timing belt system recently including the oil pump.

The air conditioning has always been suspect, but we regenerate it each year.

The door locks click on and off all the time??

General Comments:

What a little workhorse this guy is and now with gas prices the way they are...30 mpg and steady as she goes.

Review Date: 13th September, 2005

First year of ownership1999
Engine and transmission Don't Know
Previous carHonda Accord

Summary:

Fun, reliable, long-lasting if maintenance schedule followed

Radiator had to be replaced (but car has 139,000 miles!)

Muffler had to be replaced around 90,000 miles) (My 1990 Accord also needed new muffler around 90,000)

SBS light went on in 2001-was told by dealer it was a computer chip and would cost $600 to fix!!! Just recently, I was looking to buy a used 1998 Honda Civic from a private party and he has the same problem with the SBS light! Has anyone else had this problem? Should this be a recall item?

General Comments:

Not the most comfortable ride in the world and parts can be expensive, but all in all, it's a very reliable vehicle and fun to drive!

Review Date: 5th June, 2005

7th Jun 2005, 21:28

Oops. Might to type SRS.

26th Sep 2007, 01:25

I just bought a Honda Accord LX 1997 model. I bought it used from the first owner, and the car looks and runs fantastic.

A question.. Does anyone have experience with the windows and the door locks not working properly, I first thought I only had to change the fuses, but the electric system still does not work.

Anyone?