1997 Honda Accord LX 2.2 from North America

Summary:

Keeps on going!!

Nothing! Always starts and goes.

I do keep up on the regular maintenance so the timing, brakes, oil, etc.. are done at the local garage, but I do the air filter, plugs, wires myself every 40k.

I had to replace the struts and CV boots at 150k, which is just the regular wear and tear.

My buddy has 260k on his, and I just read an article of a 94 getting to 1,000,000 mile mark, so I’m going to keep this one going to 300k+ as long as it keeps on handling like a newer car on the road.

General Comments:

This is the best car I have ever owned! I am going on 234,000 miles on my 97 Accord while I am still on my original clutch, starter, alternator, exhaust, just to name a few.

The car's interior looks almost new; unfortunately the roof is starting to get a bit oxidized in the California sun. It’s a commuter car so it’s driven 110 miles a day, which is hard on the tires and suspension but good for the exhaust. At 36 miles per gallon it's still better than most new cars on the road.

Review Date: 27th April, 2009

1997 Honda Accord DX from North America

Summary:

The best car I ever owned

I really haven't had too much maintenance on the car.

I had the timing belt changed at 109000 miles as recommended by my mechanic (deals solely with Hondas).

Had to change the front drive axles, fuel filter, small oil leak that was easy to fix, muffler, etc. All of these things being regular maintenance on a 12 year old vehicle, and really all I've invested after 10 years of owning it.

General Comments:

I love my Honda as much now as when I bought it. I'm a single woman and reliability is huge on my list. It's never broken down... ever. I've driven this baby back and forth from Phoenix to Tulsa about 15 times; from Waco to Tulsa; Tulsa to Sioux Falls; etc. I've lived in northern climates, southern climates, and in between... it handles well in all road conditions. I've put a lot of miles on it and it has never given me any trouble whatsoever. I even used it on occasion to deliver mail, which requires a lot of stopping and starting it.

Even now when I'm considering selling it, I would sell it knowing it would still be reliable for the next owner. And wouldn't you know it, the kind of vehicle I'm looking at is another Honda. With the reliability, gas savings, value, low maintenance, etc., I just can't see why I would buy anything else.

Review Date: 21st April, 2009

1997 Honda Accord 2.2 vtec from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Zzzzzzzzzzz

Central locking fault, the car doors unlocked themselves (not good for security).

Exhaust rattle.

General Comments:

I've had few cars bore me as much as this one. Very bland interior, so so styling, forgettable ride, and zero character etc. I do now understand why Honda's appeal to old people, but at 36 I think I may have bought this car 30 years too early.

I bought this car due to its low mileage and good history (one elderly previous owner).

Very disappointed in the performance of the 2.2 vtec engine, to get any real power out of it you have to push it hard, and at low revs it feels more like a 1.6.

On the positive side, the engine has been very reliable and does inspire confidence in its longevity.

As a reaction to this car, I am now considering selling in favour of an Alfa.

Please excuse me, I'm getting sleepy thinking about this Honda.

Review Date: 6th March, 2009

1997 Honda Accord US Wagon SiR 2.2 VTEC Twin Cam petrol from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

An excellent family car, but the performance isn't up to expectations

Nothing so far.

General Comments:

This car is our third Accord, so I know they’re a great car. We needed a wagon with the impending arrival of a second child, and nothing else appealed in our admittedly low price range.

From experience, I wanted a VTEC engined car, having had Accords with and without that technology. I ended up buying a Japanese Import US Wagon with the rare (for a wagon) “black top” twin-cam VTEC head and 190hp. Really, this engine is miss-suited to a family wagon and it doesn’t go like the rocket I was hoping for. The VTEC change over happens at 5,500 RPM and from there to the limiter at 7,900 RPM it pulls quite hard, but who’s going to do that with the family in the car….? At that point you’ve also exceeded the NZ open road speed limit in second. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a cracker of an engine at high revs and quiet and smooth when cruising, but it’s just not quite what I was expecting. The single cam VTEC is more frugal and has a better spread of power.

0-100kph is 10.2 seconds, which is the same as my previous LXi Accord without VTEC and 50 less hp.

Otherwise this is a great car – it has lots of the little features I wanted like climate control, ABS, air bags and the heavily tinted rear windows really do reduce the in car temperature in the summer sun. The rear disc brakes don’t work better than drums though. Steering is very light and it rides and handles well.

Reliability has been faultless so far, as I’d expect, and when this car has done its dash I’ll certainly be looking for another Honda.

Review Date: 28th February, 2009

30th Nov 2010, 23:01

I own the exact same vehicle, and agree with your comments regarding performance completely.