1997 Honda Accord Reviews - Page 5 of 14

1997 Honda Accord LX 4 cylinder from North America

Engine and transmission 4 cylinder Automatic
Previous carChevrolet Cavalier

Summary:

Seems OK so far..

Rear brakes need to be replaced.

Timing belt, balance belt, and water pump replaced (maintenance).

Just started to make a clunking sound when hitting bumps.

Shifts hard, especially downshifting.

I believe my exhaust system will need repair soon, because my car is getting louder.

The car is rusting badly underneath, and under the hood.

General Comments:

Nothing major has gone wrong on the car so far. I purchased the car for $3500 with 105K miles and I have put 4K miles on it.

This car seems to need a lot of maintenance, and you have to buy the "special" Honda products and parts for the car, which can be expensive.

I have never liked the brakes in the car, and now my back brakes are acting up.

This car is a rust bucket as well, and my muffler system is rusted pretty badly, so it will need to be replaced before too long.

The thing that bothers me the most is how hard the transmission shifts. I don't know if this is normal for Hondas, but I have heard other people say the same thing.

The car does handle very nicely, and the interior is nice. I enjoy driving it.

People like to make fun of me for this, but I truly think my '97 Chevy Cavalier was a much better car! I had 130K miles on it when I wrecked it and it was excellent. I had it since it had 80K miles and it was my first car. It never let me down, and it only needed minor maintenance things (brakes, struts, tires, battery).

I miss my Cavi and would like to have another one, but people want more for them than what they are worth.

Review Date: 7th October, 2008

1997 Honda Accord LX 4 cylinder from North America

First year of ownership1997
Engine and transmission 4 cylinder Manual
Previous carHonda Accord

Summary:

It's a gem that will last forever!

Front window electronic relay (thing that makes the window go up and down) stopped working - once on the drivers side and the other time on the passenger side --car had been driven approx. 150,000-200,000 at that point.

Catalytic converter had to be replaced at around 200,000 miles.

General Comments:

This car is probably going to last forever which means I'll never get to buy a new one! It's just such a great deal. Is it possible for Honda to keep up this level of quality? I'm afraid to buy a new one on the outside chance that a new one won't be as reliable as my 1997 Honda Accord.

The car still looks good/current design look after 10 years unlike a lot of other cars that start looking dated after a few years. The car rides very well although at 10 years of age it has lost a little "pep" -- it's still quite reliable and still gets great gas mileage. Interior looks good although I don't have kids or pets jumping around in it. Spills get cleaned up easily.

Review Date: 11th April, 2008

16th Jun 2008, 21:41

Believe me, they don't make them anywhere near as good as they did in the 90's.

12th Oct 2009, 15:25

My Honda Accord has about 217,000 miles and still going strong. Other than the usual oil change and other minor maintenance issues, my Honda is the best car I have ever owned.

13th Oct 2009, 05:37

What year is the 217,000 mile one? I had a 2002, and had many issues before 50,000 miles.

1997 Honda Accord SE 4 cylinder from North America