2002 Honda Accord DX 2.3L from North America

Burns oil since 175k (blue smoke).

2 alternators at 60k and 140k.

Transmission slips sometimes (more now than ever).

General Comments:

Not a bad car. Was an excellent commuter until the oil burning and transmission slip that occurs more now. I think I got a lot out of this car. It was left to me from my uncle who could not drive anymore due to health issues.

Review Date: 21st August, 2015

2002 Honda Accord SE 2.3L 4 cylinder from North America

Bulletproof - has kept up to my Honda expectations!

2 front bushings - 152,000km

Right front wheel bearing, right front control arm, left CV boot - 180,000km.

General Comments:

I have purchased this car after my beloved 1995 Accord got rear ended and written off.

It is bigger than previous generation Accords, but mostly in height. It is not oversized, so it still feels good on the road.

Steering is precise with good feedback, and it is nicely weighted. Not too heavy so your arms fall off, but not light either.

Mileage is OK at best. I average about 9.5L / 100km, of mostly city driving, some highway driving, and some spirited, higher revving driving. The engine is not the most powerful thing out there, but it does well in city driving. However it feels like there is very little torque at any revs, so speeding up (even in third gear) or highway passing can get tricky.

Space in the cabin is excellent. I have three young children, and our whole family fits perfectly inside (2 booster seats and 1 child seat included), and there is still some space between the child seats and the doors.

Trunk space is also excellent. It will hold the stroller and many other large items at once.

It comes with many power features, and they all work smoothly and reliably. The interior is very well laid out, with everything at an arms reach. The materials are mostly soft touch, and the fit & finish is top notch! The interior design is very modern and ages well.

The ride is smooth, but not floaty. It corners very well, and if you upgrade to sports seats and firmer struts (like I did), it can be very fun in the corners.

Sound deadening is not the best, as it does get a bit loud on the highway, but you can still hold a conversation.

Visibility is great!

The body has no rust and seems to be finished / painted well. I do not see many of these Accords with rust issues.

The 5 speed gearbox is a bit clunky, but it could be the previous owner's fault. Sometimes it's tough to get it into first gear or reverse, and I need to release the clutch and try again, which does the trick.

I have done some modifications to it such as Sparco Sports Seats, front bumper lip, 17" rims, aftermarket headlights, leather wrapped steering wheel, Bilstein Struts, car alarm / starter combo, and an MP3 player. These minor mods have sharpened up the car in cornering and looks.

Overall the car is fantastic! It has given me trouble free driving for the last 30,000km and I expect that to continue. I will keep you all posted.

Review Date: 28th October, 2013

22nd Aug 2015, 08:02

I am not sure about the 2002 models, but on my 2004 I had gear selection issues after having the clutch replaced.

I found tightening the selector cables cured the problem. You get to them by removing the trim panels / storage box ahead of the gear lever, and rotating the ends of the cable hoses with a pair of grips.

2002 Honda Accord LX 2.3 from North America

Love the Honda Accord

My engine was shaking when I bought the car. Found a bad spark plug, so I replaced with Bosch 4+ in it. Runs like a champ.

General Comments:

My Honda Accord is the best, and it so quick with its 5 speed manual transmission. It handles well in heavy rain.

Good gas mileage. I added a K&N air filter and synthetic oil, and did the Seafoam fuel injection cleaning. On highway I get around 34 MPG. Wonderful.

Review Date: 16th October, 2012