2002 Honda Accord Reviews - Page 2 of 13

2002 Honda Accord EX V6 from North America

Engine and transmission V6 Automatic
Previous carHonda Accord

Summary:

I am completely satisfied. I have owned only Acura/Honda cars and will continue to in the future

The only things that I have replaced so far is a headlight bulb, tires, brakes and oil.

General Comments:

I get a lot of compliments about the car.

The car performs very well. Tight and responsive handling, good acceleration when merging onto the freeway.

Traction control and ABS take some getting used to in the winter months if features were not on previously owned cars.

Quality of materials far exceed American cars.

Power seats are sluggish, but great because they raise up for us shorter folks.

Front and side airbags are a great feature, and there is a safety feature on the passenger side which turns off the airbag function if someone underweight is sitting there, or if I put something heavy on the seat.

Reliability is excellent. Nothing but basic wear and tear repairs.

Negatives are the engine is a bit louder than when purchased 9 months ago. Road noise is annoying but seems to be a Honda thing; wind noise and such creaks.

Gear shift does not lock! This has caused me to accidentally bump out of gear, even while driving. I once drove 100 miles on the turnpike without realizing the car was in a higher gear. Thankfully it didn't damage the engine. Also, I a friend bumped it out of 'Park' into 'Neutral' with her purse, which caused the car to roll forward, coming an inch from driving into gas station. That was a scary sight.

Review Date: 6th December, 2008

2002 Honda Accord DX 2.0 SOHC from North America

Year of manufacture2001
Engine and transmission 2.0 SOHC Manual
Previous carJeep Cherokee

Summary:

Good reliable Car

AC line ruptured, replaced under warranty.

Downstream Oxygen sensor (catalyst warning) at 90K miles. Do not replace the catalytic convertor.

General Comments:

This car is not fancy. It is reliable and inexpensive to operate. The car is not quick, but it is a four cylinder and I expected that. The gas mileage consistently averages about 28 mpg in mixed driving.

Review Date: 27th July, 2008

2002 Honda Accord ex 4 cyc from North America

Engine and transmission 4 cyc Automatic
Previous carNissan 2 X 4 Truck

Summary:

Starts and goes when I need it and it looks good

Normal brake and tire wear. First set of brakes at about 50kmi.

Power steering pump noisy and replaced at 125kmi.

Rear strut replaced due to failure 134kmi.

Paint good shape and interior showing some wear due to miles driven, Sheet metal good shape and no rust.

General Comments:

Handles well for price and no complaints on comfort. Have ridden in more comfortable cars that are very much more expensive.

Review Date: 8th June, 2008

2002 Honda Accord EX 3.0 from North America

Previous carChevrolet Beretta

Summary:

Overall a nice car

I have had this car almost 3 years, and so far it's been very dependable with no major problems. It's quiet, comfortable, and drives nice.

The only things that bother me is the SRS light that other people have complained about.

The side air bag light flashed all the time (very annoying at night), so I pulled the light bulb out for it and took care of that.

I was surprised at the amount of squeaks, creaks and rattles the car has. I'm always chasing down little noises, some I can hear over the radio.

It's very quick and love the power, though the mileage in the city is horrible, 18mpg at best. I have got as low as 15mpg city, but have gotten 30mpg hwy one time. Hwy/freeway generally runs about 27-29mpg.

One thing I find very strange is that if the wipers are on delay, every time I take my foot off the brake pedal it runs the wipers once, even if they are on low delay and they just wiped a second before. Glad it doesn't do that when they're turned off.

General Comments:

Good power, reliable, comfortable.

Too many squeaks, rattles and the airbag/SRS light problems.

Review Date: 15th May, 2008

2002 Honda Accord DX 2.3 liter 4 cylinder from North America

Engine and transmission 2.3 liter 4 cylinder Automatic
Previous carGeo Prizm

Summary:

A BIG disappointment, two major repairs and terrible gas mileage

- Transmission had to be replaced at 45,000 miles.

- Rack and pinion had to be replaced at 40,000 miles.

- TERRIBLE GAS MILEAGE.

General Comments:

Not a lot has gone wrong with the car for the most part, but I am just basing my opinions on what I have experienced with this car within the 15,000 miles I have owned it so far, with two pretty expensive repairs, and the most horrible gas mileage of any car I have ever owned since the early 70's. This makes me very hesitant to ever buy a Honda again.

Luckily with all that has gone wrong with this car, it all has been covered under warranty. But what scares me is that what if I didn't have that warranty, I would be out $4000 to $5000. But the part I don't understand is why would two major repairs need to be made on a car with less than 50,000 miles, and a HONDA at that.

The part that makes me even more furious is the gas mileage. Now take this into consideration before coming up with a smart answer about how I need to do this and that, and not have a lead foot. I am not a lead foot, I do a mix of city and highway driving, and anything that has to do with getting the best gas mileage has been done. Air filter, proper tire pressure, and not stepping on the gas. I have gotten anywhere from 13 to 19 miles to the gallon. Once I got 22, but that was driving up north straight going 65 mph.

Now I originally bought my Accord based on Honda's reliability, and also the great gas mileage they praise themselves on getting. But this is ridiculous. Come on 13 to 19 mpg, a four cylinder with just over 50,000 miles on it.

Originally I took it to the dealer to have them inspect it under warranty, to tell me why I am getting such crappy mileage. They said they could find nothing, so I took it to a mechanic to check it over, and they didn't find anything either. So I went back to the dealer and complained to the service manager about the mileage, and he said that is pretty normal to get that kind of mileage from an Accord. I just looked at him with my mouth open. I said why is the recommended mileage for this car in the twenties, and he said that is not really relevant, and you shouldn't go off of that. It is not accurate.

You know it's funny, because my son has a 97 Diamante with a 3.5 liter V6 with 90,000 miles on it, and he is a lead foot, and gets an average of 17 to 20 mpg, and gets 24 to 30 mpg when driving up north. It's amazing how I have a little 4 cylinder and no lead foot, and get less miles to the gallon than my son with a V6 and a lead foot.

And after a few months of owning the car, I took it in to Honda to look at something under my car. I honestly can't remember why, I think it was a noise. They said that they would have to replace the rack and pinion for $1200 - covered under warranty. And then a couple of months later I noticed a little dripping on the driveway, took it in to Honda, and they said I needed to have the transmission replaced - covered under warranty. They said that would have cost me like $3,000 something dollars.

It's funny, because my son made me go to the dealership and yell at the sales manager, and not the service manager on the last day of my warranty. My son talked to the guy, and they were willing to buy back the car from me for the same price I paid for it after I had owned it for 12 months, which was very generous and took a lot of haggling. Literally I told him I would put up a sign in my yard saying not to buy from them unless they do something about it.

Well when we went on the lot to look for a replacement, the best I could find was a 2004 Civic VP with like 20,000 miles on it. It was nice, but didn't feel as sturdy as the Accord, so I decided to bypass the offer and just keep the Accord and pray that nothing goes wrong. I just didn't want to go down in cars, and also was leery of buying another Honda.

So far for the last 6 months, I have not had a problem at all, just the terrible gas mileage. Which in the long run is really hurting my pocketbook. Does anyone else get bad gas mileage with their 4 cylinder Accord???

Other than the terrible gas mileage, and faulty transmission and rack and pinion, it has been a very enjoyable car.

Review Date: 7th May, 2008

11th May 2008, 08:26

This is the most strange review I have ever read on an Accord. First because of all the major repairs you have done and second for the extremely poor gas mileage. I have an 02 Accord 4 cyl. too and this car has only been good to me. Don't believe your mechanic, my car gets between 27 and 32 MPG. I have verified this and it is always a relief that a tank of gas takes me for around 450 miles. The largest repair I have done to my car is full set of new brakes at 70000 miles.

Only thing I can think of is you got a lemon, or somebody exchanged broken parts into your car and took the good ones. Which is not uncommon for dealers or ma-pa shops these days.

For me, Honda is on top of reliability. And my personal experience is proof of that.