2004 Honda Accord EX 4-cylinder from North America

Summary:

A very good car, but questionable value

This is my second Honda Accord. I've always been pleased with Honda's reputation for quality and found that to be true. Although my car is five years old, there's an expectation that it will continue to perform well as long as I do my part and make sure it is regularly serviced.

My problem has nothing to due with the vehicle performance. My problem is the clear coat paint on my red Honda Accord. I live in the Northeast, and the paint is fading fast on the roof. After careful inspection, it looks like the paint is also fading around the rear window and along the trunk. It looks terrible, and I can only imagine what it will cost to have the car re-painted! Of course, the dealer and the district manager have essentially told me "tough luck." I called American Honda Motor Company's customer service department today, and was again told that the warranty has expired and there's nothing that can be done. I'm going to write an appeal to the VP - Parts and Services Division, to see if I can be given some consideration. It would be nice if we could come to a "cost-sharing" agreement, but I suspect not. Honda's sales and net income are down this year, and I'm sure the company wants to manage its costs very closely. I really like my Honda, but if I have to pay several thousand dollars to have it re-painted it's not the great value I thought it was when I bought it. I am honestly surprised that there's a problem with the paint. Go figure.

General Comments:

I really like it. Very reliable, good looking inside and out (at least before the paint started to fade).

Review Date: 14th September, 2009

15th Sep 2009, 17:50

You really have to keep a good coat of wax on a red vehicle.

I have a red Jeep, and I wash & wax it regularly to keep the paint from fading.

I also use an express wax a couple of times a week between paste waxings.

I don't know if you keep a good coat of wax on your Honda (not just the "wax" from the car wash - which does virtually nothing), but if you don't, you shouldn't be surprised that your red paint job is fading.

2004 Honda Accord Type S petrol from South Africa

Summary:

No Honda for me in this lifetime

Nothing.

General Comments:

The engine has no torque; you have to rev it to the redline all the time.

Heavy fuel consumption.

Reliable car, but horrible to drive.

Comfortable to sit in, but not a drivers car.

Poor resale value.

Not recommended, buy German; BMW, Audi or Mercedes.

Review Date: 26th August, 2009

2nd Sep 2009, 10:08

I disagree with you. In the US, Honda is always one of the top resale value manufacturers. Good reliability. I have owned 2 Hondas and I am very happy with my purchases. Honda might not be flashy/showy cars, like German manufacturers. However, German brands such as Mercedes, BMW, Audi and etc... are over priced and simply over rated. Plus reliability is always poor. If I have a lot of money, I will (for sure) consider buying Germans, but also consider, Lexus, Acura and Infiniti because they are very nice cars as Mercedes, etc...

2004 Honda Accord EX-L V6 W/ NAVI 3.0L VTEC V6 from North America

Summary:

Near perfect

Nothing.

General Comments:

The Accord is nearly perfect! Handling is nimble and relatively precise. Certainly not on par with BMW, but definitely better than most other cars in its class. The V6 is silky smooth and paired with the equally smooth and quick shifting 5 speed auto makes for a pleasant (dare I say fun) driving experience.

Navigation system very easy to use and well worth the premium. Fit and finish is great as per Honda standards. Heated seats are great for those cold winter days.

Review Date: 12th March, 2009

2004 Honda Accord iCDTi from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Good, but expensive to run

At 68000 miles the clutch has started to slip, which seems very low, especially when compared to every other car I have owned. It would seem that the torque capability in design was not enough to deal with the engine.

Having started to check out the replacement cost, it would appear that the final amount is likely to end up at well over £1000!!

I am not sure what most other vehicles are like, but would not have thought even a Rolls could end up much higher if at all.

According to several mechanic sites, the front sub-frame and steering rack are required to be removed for what should normally be a straight forward service replacement.

In addition, specialist tools are required to change the unit as well.

It does make you wonder if someone got their maths wrong on this one, or was it just a money maker?

Review Date: 7th January, 2009