2003 Honda Civic EX 4DR Sedan 1.7L VTEC unleaded from North America

Summary:

If you want affordable reliability and quality, get a Honda!

My brakes are fine, but every time I step on my brakes and release, I hear a mouse like squeak, really small and irrelevant, but it gets on my nerves.

General Comments:

This car is GREAT in quality! I would recommend a Honda to anyone. Its fuel economy is phenomenal and it's really fun to drive with the power I get from it.

I barely have to any service, all I have done to it since I have owned it was an oil change and air filters.

It has a great design inside and out. Only thing is for such light weight car, it lacks brake power, and it dents really easily, and the paint chips away easy also.

Other than that, my overall for this car is a 9. I LOVE MY HONDA!

Review Date: 9th November, 2009

2003 Honda Civic Type R 2.0 petrol from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Not just a car with a turbo, this is a proper race car!!

No problems at all (touch wood)!!

General Comments:

I've had my Type R for about a year and love it.

For a hot hatch, this car is no doubt ONE of the best!! People will tell you differently, but when you're discussing hot hatches, how come the Type R is always there or thereabouts?? It's not a car for everyone due to the lack of torque in the lower rev range. However the Type R was designed for the track, and therefore needs to be driven with some knowledge of how it performs best. If you keep it in the higher rev range, it performs immensely and will scream you through the gears, then you're doing 130mph without knowing it. Round a track or country road is where it performs best, it handles amazingly and effortlessly in the higher rev band. It's not just an engine with a turbo, this car was designed like a race car.

Also because the power kicks in at 5000 revs I find it easy to drive sensibly around town, meaning fuel consumption is pretty good for a hot hatch. My Type R is better than my old Golf GTI MK3.

Negatives -

The Type R has been stripped down to make it lighter (like the old school hot hatches), however this means road noise is an issue for some people, but I don't think it's that bad (it's a hot hatch not a Bentley). Stereo isn't the best and it's a bit basic inside. Tuning potential isn't that good - very expensive to get more BHP, this is partly due to Honda putting performance parts on as standard.

Review Date: 26th July, 2009

1st May 2012, 18:56

All good and well... Funny how my old 1996 Mitsubishi FTO GPX manual was just as quick as a Type-R... 200bhp VVT and 8000rpm has all been done before!!

In the real world the FTO and the Type R's are not flexible... you try pulling from low revs in a higher gear... bugger all happens, doesn't it!!

Mivec / Vtec is all good on a track, but after owning several VTEC Hondas and a few Mivec Mitsubishis... they're tiring and very frustrating in every day driving.

2003 Honda Civic 1.7L from North America

Summary:

It has been satisfactory other than the problem with the locks

The car has needed replacement of all door locks, and the trunk lock has stuck and needed replacement twice.

The ignition lock has also failed, which required replacement of the whole unit.

General Comments:

The car has been otherwise satisfactory. It has required more attention to brakes than I would like, but I live in a hilly area.

It is economical and I like the large trunk.

Review Date: 11th December, 2008

3rd Jun 2012, 21:40

Let's be honest here, 145000 miles (240000KM) and that's all that went wrong; nothing wrong with that.

2003 Honda Civic DX-G 1.7L from North America

Summary:

Totally worth it (best car in its class)

Replaced a lower left ball joint on the driver side wheel after 120,000km, but that's only because I drove on very rough roads in Michigan.

No other problems have occurred and I am the only owner of this 2003 Honda Civic DX-G.

General Comments:

The engine is 1.7L inline-4 cyl. with 115hp with a manual transmission. (a basic entry model for 2003).

Civic is very easy to drive and a lot of fun, even after having it for almost 6 years and 170,000km.

I would recommend it to everyone, especially new drivers.

It basically handled everything I put it through: very heavy snow, deep puddles, extremely rough Michigan roads and long Ontario roads... let's just say the car went through hell and back with me, and it's still in great condition.

Unfortunately now I am selling it because my wife can't drive manual, but I am considering buying a new one after my parents just purchased a 2008 Civic DX-G, and it runs great with its CVT transmission.

You won't regret buying a Civic!!! Fun, fun, fun car.

Review Date: 2nd August, 2008