2003 Honda Civic SE 1.6 VTEC from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Absolutely superb, buy one!

Air conditioning was faulty. This was fixed under an extended warranty and I only had to pay £36 for another part that wasn't under warranty. When I first took the car in to look for the fault, I wasn't charged!!

General Comments:

This car for me is the business. My old car (Peugeot 306 1.4L) was good, but had age on its side. The thing with the Honda is that I still buzz when driving it now (6 months after I bought it!). It has speed, reliability and most of all comfort. Mine has a six CD changer as well, and the heated seats are really good as it is starting to get a little cooler in the UK now. The only negative is that the boot is smaller than my 306, but I am not missing my old car one bit really.

I love this Honda, and would definitely buy a new car from this manufacturer. The way that it handles bends (and at speed as well) is amazing, it really grips the road! I haven't had it serviced yet so don't really know how much this costs.

Review Date: 10th October, 2007

2003 Honda Civic LX from North America

Summary:

Good for the city, a nightmare on the highway

A crack sound comes from one of the front wheels when braking to a stop.

Front rotors needed replacement at 100,000.

AC stopped working at 100,000 K (just after warranty). A Honda dealer said this problem is frequent in these cars, but they can't do nothing about it. They quoted around 300 bucks to fix it.

Clutch makes a noise.

General Comments:

When I bought the car, I was working in town. A month later, I had to move. Now I drive 100 kilometers one way to work and this car is a nightmare. Too much road noise, dances behind trucks, revs very high at 120 km/h (no fuel efficiency at 120 or up), very uncomfortable for long drives, expansive to maintain. Every time you go to Honda dealer, they charge 50 bucks just for diagnoses. I'll never buy a Honda again. Hyundai's are much better.

Review Date: 30th March, 2007

31st Mar 2007, 21:00

Wow...all I can say is to perform maintenance to keep your car running good and getting good MPG at higher speeds. I know many people who are not afraid over in the USA to take their Civics on the freeway over 80 miles per hour when cruising. Perhaps the crack sound you here is a suspension joint or something? Get it checked out...

23rd Feb 2011, 17:33

You wouldn't have 3/4 of those problems if you actually did the maintenance, like the other comment already stated. The "crack" (which I took to be "crackling") noise you hear/heard while braking probably coincides with your front brake rotor replacement, as a friend's Civic (who used the "gas'n'go" philosophy to maintenance) had the same noise and subsequent brake assembly replacement.

Clutches and brakes are wear items, and aren't expected to last forever. The A/C is a known issue on these cars, or at least is in my experience, and on the spectrum of things to watch out for, it's lasted you 100,000 miles, $300 isn't that big a deal.

2003 Honda Civic Type-R 2.0 VTEC from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Buy one!

Nothing mechanical.

Engine hasn't missed a beat.

Floor mats are showing signs of wear, but the car is 3 years old.

Just spent £500 on 3 year service, but this included 2 new front tires and new front brake linings, so can't complain. Service done by Honda dealer - brilliant.

General Comments:

Car is very quick (0-60 in 6.7 seconds).

6 gears are great.

The engine note above 6200 rpm is intoxicating and the 'kick' it gives is wonderful.

Handling is fantastic. Ride a bit harsh, but can't have comfort and sports car handling at this price.

Can be driven slowly, but it's not easy - it's that engine note again!

Review Date: 19th July, 2006

16th Aug 2007, 15:30

"Rev limiter is brilliant (comes in at 8600 rpm on mine and is set by the dealer). After the engine cuts out and you lift your foot off the pedal, the revs drop and the engine comes alive again. It's so forgiving and the power comes straight back."

Well, isn't that what a rev limiter is supposed to do?!

2nd Jan 2008, 06:12

Yup, same as on pretty much every other car built in the last 20 years or so...