2003 Honda Civic Hybrid from North America

Summary:

The Prius is better

CVT judder at 65000 miles. Got a letter from Honda asking me take it to the dealer, but I wonder how much more I will have to ultimately pay after my $500 service bill at 60,000 miles.

I was waiting for problem to get worse, when I got a letter from DMV to show proof of correction. Now I have to definitely take it to the dealer.

General Comments:

Looks cheap inside with various rattles.

Low acceleration.

Good gas mileage, but not as good as the Prius.

On the plus side, lot of trunk space.

Review Date: 3rd July, 2008

16th May 2011, 12:37

CVT tranny was a nightmare in those early years. Stay away from them!

I have an '03 HCH too (manual 5 speed trans). Bought it used in '09. Lots of battery problems which still persist even after lots of battery repairs. NOT a good car! Honda is useless for help too. MPG stays good in the 50+ range, but the car needs to be a lot better electrically. Maybe the new Civic hybrids are better? Who knows at $20K?

But for that much money pay a little more and go with Toyota! Better track record for sure.

2003 Honda Civic Type R 2.0L from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Hardcore rocketship from hell

No problems.

General Comments:

I think the Type R is an excellent hot hatch. It's fast, fun, and has all the drama a hot hatch should.

The i-vtec engine is a screamer. Quite literally. Keep it above 6,000rpm and it's an absolute riot.

For an engine that revs so high, it's ultra reliable. Anybody with mechanical sympathy stay away.

The six speed gearbox is a joy to use; so much so that you find yourself changing gear for the thrill of it. Very precise and perfectly positioned. Brings out the best from the engine.

The ride is very firm, but it makes sense when you're on a twisty road, and the handling and balance of the car is excellent.

One criticism is the brakes; I think they're short of feel, and the ABS cuts in too early. A minor gripe.

The interior quality is good. The controls are well laid out and easy to use.

The seats are excellent, but I really hate that seats don't return to their original position when letting people in the back.

I would certainly buy another.

Review Date: 31st December, 2007

2003 Honda Civic Si from North America

Summary:

Fast, stable, great car

I have only had one thing go out on the car, the air conditioner compressor went out this last summer while I was on a trip away from home. I had purchased the extended warranty when I bought the car, and thankfully it was covered. I only spent $100 out of pocket, however I think the total bill to the warranty was over $1000.

The tires that came with the car lasted me probably 2 years; not sure if that is good or bad. Front brakes go out fast on these cars, but I haven't felt like the costs have been any kind of a burden. The dealerships where I live usually charge around $20.00 for an oil change, so I use them. I've also had done the Honda recommended maintenance by the dealership as well.

General Comments:

Most people buy this car because it is sporty; I bought it because it was the only new hatchback available from Honda at the time. I don't race or do any after-market parts or changes. People are always amazed when they ask me what changes I've made and I say none. Honestly, I don't know what you would do to this car to make any kind of significant improvement.

The stick shift is on the dash and it not only looks cool, I feel that it is way easier and more comfortable to shift. This also leaves the area between the seats open for the drink holder and storage console.

The suspension on the car is amazing. I bought my car new in 2003, and to this day the car still feels as tight and stable as the day I bought it. Pretty much any other car I drive feels sloppy and almost dangerous compared to the stability I have in the Civic SI.

Little things like the pull out drink holder, rear view mirror, etc. have held up very well and have not broken, discolored, aged poorly. The exterior paint still looks new, and I do not garage my car. It is left out in the rain, snow, and baking sun. Also, I was once caught driving in a hailstorm with golf-ball size hail, and I was sure that it had ruined my car. There was absolutely no damage! I couldn't believe it.

Review Date: 26th October, 2007