2000 Hyundai Accent from North America
Good first car, but be prepared for some issues
- Burning oil smell at around 75,000 miles.
- Replaced head gasket due to oil leak, and the problem continued.
- Had to fill oil up frequently due to leak.
- Replaced engine cover at 100,000 miles because it was warped (source of oil leak).
- Latch on hood broke (i think someone damaged it though)
- Very loud sound at around 60,000 miles. Had some part replaced (don't remember name)...cost about $200.
- Engine overheated once at about 95,000 miles. Replaced radiator cap.
- Check engine light came on at about 90,000 miles. Needs cat. converter and oxygen sensor replaced they said. ($800)
- Very jerky transmission sometimes while driving and ideling (started around 90,000 miles).
- Dents/scratches very easily.
- Car shakes if you go above 70 miles per hour.
- When you have people in the back seat the acceleration is noticeably slower. Really have to push down on pedal to get the car to move.
- Got into car accident and airbags did not deploy. Maybe not car's problem though... could have been position of the impact?
This car was my first car and lasted for a good 4 years.
The only real serious problem was the oil leak, and after replacing the engine cover it was fine.
Acceleration is slow, but expected.
Had I not totaled the car, the check engine light was a problem. I was not about to pay $800 to fix it since the car was only worth around $2,300. Could not pass inspection with the light on.
Also, had I not totaled the car when I did, the transmission was becoming an issue. The jerkiness was a little scary on the highway randomly. I wondered if the car would one day break down while driving or ideling.
Back seat is cramped and small.
Seats are kind of stiff and uncomfortable... but you get used to it I guess.
Considering this car lasted 117,000 miles and would have gone further, it was perfect for me. I drove all over New Jersey with this car. Primarily needed a car to drive to school (one hour commute)
Mpg was pretty good (30 mpg)...could have been better if I changed the cat. converter they say.
Would you buy another car from this manufacturer? Don't Know
Review Date: 15th July, 2008