2002 Hyundai Elantra Reviews - Page 8 of 18

2002 Hyundai Elantra GT 2.0L from North America

Engine and transmission 2.0L Manual
Previous carToyota 4Runner

Summary:

Price was right, but you get what you pay for

The clutch release shaft bushings are defective, resulting in accelerated wear of the clutch.

General Comments:

Lots of interior room for a compact car.

Mushy brakes.

Good looks.

Review Date: 10th November, 2005

2002 Hyundai Elantra GT Hatchback N/A from North America

Year of manufacture2001
Engine and transmission N/A Automatic
Previous carToyota Tercel

Summary:

For the price you pay, worth what you get

The A/C turns on when Front defrost turned up. No idea why.

Power to pass or speed up quite poor (Auto Trans), surprisingly so. But not a huge deal.

4 marker light bulbs taken out as they always burn out. Easier to leave out.

Mileage not what I'd hoped, that's for sure, but considering I owned a Toyota Tercel for 6 years, it might not be a fair comparison.

General Comments:

Handles very nicely.

Very roomy & comfortable.

Awsome dashboard lights.

Cost effective Car, not too pricey at all. Lots of options in it. I don't have the Moon Roof or leather seats, but don't need'em.

Outside is stylish.

Review Date: 13th October, 2005

17th Feb 2006, 12:46

I thought the leather was standard for the GT. When ever I check for blue book values, the website automatically puts "leather" as an option once I click GT. Not sure on this one.

25th Jun 2006, 01:02

The A/C is supposed to come on with the defrost. As annoying as I think it is, just about every car company does this now. It's something Ford came up with years ago. Something about the compressor taking moisture out of the air more quickly. I have owned Fords, Volkswagens and a BMW that has done this.

2002 Hyundai Elantra GT from North America

Previous carFord Escort

Summary:

Good for a first car, reliable and cheap, but won't be my next car

The black paint is horrible on it.

My dad noticed this at the dealer, and the dealer agreed to fix it up. They did a good job, of covering it up that is.

My car now has 50,000 miles, and there are chips of paint coming off of it everywhere. In case you are wondering, no, I do not live on a dirt road, and very rarely use one.

Quality-wise, everything still works great. AC, heat, power windows, etc.

Other problems I've had include changing the driver's side headlight. I had to remove the car battery to get to it! Lastly, the hand on the back hatch sticks, and I have to move it back into place every time I open it.

General Comments:

All that aside, it is a great car for the money, but in Michigan this car has virtually no resale value, something that 4 cylinder cars are good at.

As a small car, it has good tight handling.

The cabin is roomy for its size, even in the back. Great gas mileage; I get 28 mpg.

Lastly, there is a HUGE blind-spot in the driver's side back.

Review Date: 12th October, 2005

29th Sep 2006, 10:31

I have to agree that if the only major problem you've had is poor paint quality from a Hyundai, you should count your blessings. Things could be MUCH worse! I just hope you don't experience transmission problems like I did with my '96 Accent. Boy, that was a nightmare!

13th Jun 2008, 13:28

I have had my 2002 Hyundia Elantra since 2002 when I bought it. It has 99K miles on it and the only problem I have had with it is that it eats headlights. 4 pair since I bought it. My friend has the same car and has also replaced 4 pair of headlights. Pain to get the drivers side one out as you have to take the battery out. Futhermore, a squirrel made a nest in the passenger side of the engine compartment right next to the windshield cleaner and ate away at the cables that connect to the AC. Easy fix as I got some wire from Home Depot, spliced the wires and Elec. Taped it all up and the AC works again.

2002 Hyundai Elantra from North America