2004 Hyundai Elantra 2.0 from North America

Summary:

A reliable, unpretentious car that delivers

Replaced front and rear shocks at 78000.

Clutch at 97000, and this is Boston driving.

Still on original radiator, just replaced some hoses.

Timing belt at 74000.

Shift knob plastic wore out, so got the heavier one from 2006.

General Comments:

I tend to keep cars a long time (8 years for Acura, 11 years for my VW Fox). And so it is with this easy to work on Hyundai. Lift up the hood and it's not all clogged and cluttered like a Honda or Toyota.

The engine and drive train are solid, and the 5 speed tranny is fun even in Boston. Just. Have the clutch bleeding procedure done.

Add some good tyres and the handling improves. 26 MPG city/32 highway below 75 mph cruising.

And join Elantra Forums to learn more about your car.

Review Date: 7th October, 2013

2004 Hyundai Elantra GT from North America

Summary:

This car is a lemon

I have had this car since new, and now at 53000kms I am told that I will need a $1400.00 clutch job. My last car, a 1988 VW Fox had over 247000kms, and I never needed a clutch repair. The mechanic at the dealership said that it could have been the way I was driving the car, and that a clutch is wear item, so he was not surprised. I told the mechanic to put the car back together, as I was not having anyone there touch my car, unless they were dropping the price of the repair significantly.

53000kms is way too early for a clutch to need to be replaced. I can't say that I feel better reading the horror stories that other people have posted about Elantra clutches, but at least I know it is a faulty clutch design, and not the way I drive.

So far the dealership has maintained that there is not a problem with the design of the clutch. Useless.

Review Date: 4th February, 2012

2004 Hyundai Elantra VE 2.0 from North America

Summary:

Pleased with every aspect of this car

Stereo ate a CD - Dealer replaced under warranty.

Tires replaced at 80,000 KM.

Front brakes replaced at 80,000 KM.

General Comments:

Loaded for an entry level car. For $5000 less than a comparable Japanese car, I got air, power windows, cruise, and rear cup holders.

Car has proven to be a comfortable and reliable commuter car. Has started every time, even in -30 C weather without an engine block heater.

Review Date: 21st January, 2010

2004 Hyundai Elantra from North America

Summary:

This has been one great car for the price!

At about 115,000 a sensor went out that regulated the A/C, and that meant the fan was always on while the car was running. For a while, therefore, the A/C blew hot and cold.

General Comments:

This car is as good as any I have had, and I have had a Toyota Tercel, Dodge Spirit, VW Dasher and Rabbit, etc.

It has been EXTREMELY reliable, and continues to be so. Just recently at 118,500 or so, the engine light has come on, meaning some sort of exhaust issue, I suppose. Car does not run any differently.

Brakes well.

Shifts well.

Handles smoothly.

Adequate room for five kids/adults on short trips.

Gets about 32 mpg on highway. (My Tercel did better.)

Review Date: 23rd September, 2009

2004 Hyundai Elantra VE 2 Litre from North America

Summary:

An ultra reliable, economical car

Replaced the horn!

Right tie rod end.

General Comments:

This car and both previous Hyundais were ultra reliable.

My first brake job was at 185000 KM and only the front brakes needed replacing.

They should go back to a timing chain rather than a belt. It is an expensive job every 100000KM.

I am six foot five and 250lbs, and have plenty of room and can even wear a hat!

Review Date: 24th October, 2008

2004 Hyundai Elantra GLS 2.0 from North America

Summary:

Excellent value and rock solid dependability!

55,000 miles, first set of tires.

75,000 miles, front brakes.

108,000 miles, second set of tires.

108,000 miles, timing belt/water pump/accessory belts.

Oil: Mobil 1 full synthetic extended range.

Oil Filter: Purolator 14459.

General Comments:

This 2004 Elantra is my wife's daily driver. She has owned it since new, and in 4 years put 108,000 miles on it. While I was reluctant to even touch such a great running vehicle, I just invested in a timing belt service and a few misc items (timing belt/water pump/tires/belts/coolant).

This car has been rock solid reliable and a great car in most every respect! We bought the car for 10,250.00 BRAND new, out the door, AFTER taxes in 2004!

This is my/our 5th Hyundai. I currently own an 05/Elantra GLS 5 door as well.

The car is great in every respect. It's still rides great with a solid, squeak/rattle free body!

We are Hyundai owners for life!

Review Date: 12th October, 2008