2004 Hyundai Elantra LS from North America

Summary:

This is a very reliable car

Nothing has gone wrong with my car.

General Comments:

The ride is noisy on the high way and isn't stable in wind at high speeds. However, this is a very reliable car and gets great gas mileage 25/38.

Review Date: 18th January, 2007

2004 Hyundai Elantra GT sedan from North America

Summary:

Good value, but poor initial quality

The moment I drove the new car home, the factory sunroof was rattling really badly. Three dealerships could not repair it; finally one figured it out and had to rip the whole roof apart to fix it.

Also from the start the car had several annoying ticks or rattles in the door and other general body areas which with age seem to have resolved themselved.

Emergency brake rotted/froze after 1 winter. Back wheel was smoking all the time, burning the brake pad down to the metal. Again, Three dealerships and 7 visits later, they finally figured it out after replacing a master cylinder, pads, and several other useless brake parts, because they were all guessing and couldn't diagnose such a simple fix.

A/C condenser went after 1 year of ownership and I had to pay $450 to replace it; It was not covered under warranty because they said it could have been caused from a rock in the road puncturing it, though no one can be sure.

General Comments:

Now that I've had the car 2 1/2 years, I am finally feeling like it's grown into itself and the issues are gone for the moment. I haven't had any repairs in about a year. Seems like the first year it had way too many problems.

In summary, all of my issues would not have been as frustrating had Hyundai service technicians been better diagnosticians to begin with.

All dealerships in my area (Boston) are horrible. Just horrible. That's the only downside on the Hyundais in general. Poor service from the dealerships, very untrained techs and they do a lot of guessing.

Review Date: 6th January, 2007

21st Sep 2008, 16:33

I'm sorry you had difficulties the first year; I've had a 2004 GT for nearly five years and 91,500 miles and the only repair I've ever paid for on any of our three Elantras was the O2 sensor on this one. The rest were minor repairs and all under warranty.

2004 Hyundai Elantra VE 2.0 litre gas from North America

Summary:

An excellent ultra reliable car

Horn failed.

Right tie rod end.

General Comments:

Excellent in all respects especially reliability.

This is my third Hyundai all high mileage, all ultra reliable.

When the tie rod end was replaced we saw a large dent in the wheel rim so I don't fault Hyundai, I must have hit an awful pothole!

Review Date: 1st January, 2007

2004 Hyundai Elantra from North America

Summary:

Great value and very reliable -- I would recommend to anyone!

The door open light remained on even though all car doors were closed. Problem continued and then caused the car alarm to go off because the alarm thought the car door was open. Faulty sensor was replaced in the front passenger side door after 2 trips to the dealer.

Steering wheel surface (not sure if it's real leather) has started to crack and wear very badly at only 37-38,000 miles.

Was going to have to replace the brakes at 42,000. Is that good or bad?

General Comments:

I was concerned initially about buying a Hyundai, but read many articles raving about the Elantra, saying the company had turned around in 2004.

I bought this car because of all the extra standard features, including air bags, keyless remote and alarm. Also, I researched the car online before buying and read a lot of positive comments. Also, liked the 10 year, 100,000 mile Hyundai warranty (with former concerns about Hyundai's quality, I would have not bought the car with a lesser warranty).

The really good news is that through the first 40,000 miles, this has been a great little car. It has a seriously strong engine with nice pick up on highways. I have had no major problems with the car through the first 40,000 miles.

Bad news is the car was just totalled by a driver going the wrong way on a one way street. Her fault, not mine, but here is the most important thing -- my little Elantra did it's job - the car was totalled, but I walked away without a scratch.

Great car, great value, great extras such as keyless remote included in the standard package, and in my opinion, a safe, reliable car.

Review Date: 19th July, 2006