2004 Hyundai Elantra Reviews - Page 6 of 7

2004 Hyundai Elantra GLS from North America

Model year2004
Year of manufacture2004

Summary:

Decent car for the price IF the dealer would correct problems

All four tires and wheel replaced due to vibration. Still there.

Transmission goes into overdrive going up hill and will not down shift causing the motor to be sluggish. Gas mileage has went from 32mpg to 25mpg.

Third trip to the dealer for these the service manager blew me off.

Review Date: 4th December, 2004

27th Dec 2004, 14:33

Same problems.. horrible gas mileage.

2004 Hyundai Elantra GT 2.0L gas from North America

Model year2004
Engine and transmission 2.0L gas Manual
Previous carHonda Accord

Summary:

Great value with some flaws

The car is new so nothing has gone wrong yet.

General Comments:

This car was a great deal around 13,500 with all NJ taxes and fees. A Civic or Corolla would have cost much more and would not have all the features this car comes with. The reason I bought this car was because I needed something reliable to get to work and be inexpensive at the same time.

The engine is smooth and the trans shifts nicely. The interior switches are easy to use and very easily laid out. My favorite features are the cruise control, dashboard illumination, trip computer, fog lights, and A/C systems. They all work very well.

This car is not without negatives. The Kenwood CD player looks cheap and gaudy although it sounds decent. The mileage is not up to par with Civics and Corollas. Finally, the most downright annoying thing about this car is the fact that it is not wide enough. My left knee seems to rub the door handle in the most uncomfortable way. After driving for awhile, it really starts to hurt. Why the hell couldn't Hyundai fix this problem in an otherwise relatively flawless economy sedan.

Review Date: 2nd November, 2004

16th Nov 2004, 12:43

Try adjusting the seat, particularly the height. The driver's seat is full customizable. It has five "adjusters" (two for the height, one for the waist, one for the back, and one for the distance from the wheel).

2004 Hyundai Elantra GT 2.0 inline 4 from North America

Engine and transmission 2.0 inline 4 Manual
Previous carNone None

Summary:

This car is trash

Practically everything has fallen apart on this car. I plan to return it as a lemon.

The check engine light comes on with codes that seem to be almost randomized.

Oxygen sensor failed.

MAP and MAF sensors failed.

Piston misfires.

Clutch needed replacement only after 6000 miles.

Radiator cracked in the summer.

General Comments:

Do not buy a hyundai. These cars are obviously garbage and I should have listened to my wife when she told me to not get one.

Review Date: 3rd August, 2004

7th Sep 2005, 23:43

On the contrary, I have this exact same car and have had zero of the problems you've mentioned. Please remember that every single car manufacturer has their lemon in a vehicle, and I'm very sorry to hear that you got one. Lucky there is a lemon-law that protects us against being stuck with one of those. These vehicles are very nice and have won many awards and have many people who love their vehicles, like me. They aren't a Toyota, Honda, or Lexus, but they're sure darn close and a heck of a lot cheaper.

21st May 2006, 11:16

I had a problem with my clutch after 12,000 km. Had to change it, $660. The service manager told me it was my fault, and that if I had the same problem, I should change to an automatic. I have driven trucks, Nordwells (track vehicle), cars galore with manual transmissions, had a few clutches wear out, but I have a problem blaming myself for this one. A few times, while waiting to get into traffic, I tried to start and the clutch did not engage properly, the engine reved high and I had to double clutch to avoid being rear-ended.

Apart from that, I got more than I paid for, a good bargain I feel.

28th Jan 2007, 15:31

I have a stick shift 2004 Elantra with 82000 miles on the clock and no clutch problems. The only thing that has gone wrong is that the horn failed! This is my third Hyundai in 12 years and there have never been any significant problems with any of them. You apparently got a lemon which can happen with any car. I'm amazed Hyundai haven't dmitted this and done something for you, they are normally very supportive.

8th Apr 2011, 07:24

I have a 2004 automatic Elantra. It now has 325,000 miles on it, and is going strong!!!