2004 Hyundai Elantra Reviews - Page 5 of 7

2004 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback 1.6 from Ecuador

Model year2004
Year of manufacture2004
Previous carChevrolet Corsa

Summary:

Absolutely great, inexpensive family car

Driver's seat a little loose. Dealer fixed it.

Windshield wipers are noisy and don't clean as well as expected.

General Comments:

The Elantra hatchback is very roomy and comfortable. Great leg space in both rows; the trunk is large enough to carry my two kids' pedal cars.

Driving it is a pleasure; it is extremely smooth, stable, although slow to accelerate (I couldn't afford the 1.8 liter engine).

The whole car is full of niceties, little places to hold everything: coins, cell phone, sunglasses, CD's, books, documents, etc. (I mean, besides the usual glove box and cup-holders). Everything is on hand's reach and perfectly designed.

My Elantra is a real head turner. In my last trip to the beach, the hotel owner saw the car on the parking lot and asked me if it was a BMW. Many people are surprised to learn that it is a Hyundai.

Review Date: 25th January, 2005

6th Jan 2006, 10:52

You could not afford the 1.8 because they don't make a 1.8, and the 2.0 is a bigger engine with more power.

9th May 2007, 13:03

Actually, there were Elantras with 1.8 liter engines. They stopped making them and kept the 1.6 and 2.0 engines.

20th Jul 2007, 11:54

This is an update to the original review.

After owning and driving my Elantra for more than three years, I could not be happier. This has proven an excellent investment in every sense. Beside its great looks, it is very comfortable, safe, and economic to run and maintain.

Of course, there have been some problems:

- One night a burglar broke into our home and tried to steal the car; he broke the driver's window with a hammer; the man escaped at the alarm noise. Then problems really began. The dealer didn't have the original window so they installed a glass that just fit it, but didn't have the proper adjustments; so the glass kept falling every time I tried to open or close it; the dealer fixed it time and again, with the same result. Then, I went to several workshops specialized in car windows, until someone was able to put it right into place and work properly.

- Sometimes, rain water leaked into the cabin from the back door (mine is a hatchback). I got it checked at the dealer, but they wouldn't find the problem. Finally I removed the rubber around the back door, cleaned the dust... and got the problem fixed for good.

- The car has new tires. Instead of the Khumo stock tires we put Dunlop radials. This made a huge improvement in stability, drivability and even the car's looks. Hyundai should consider shipping new vehicles with better tires.

- At 70 thousand kilometers, I am considering tuning the car a little bit: a good radio with CD changer would be celebrated by my kids; we already got an LCD-DVD-MP3 combo; probably new shocks, and perhaps something to improve the engine's power. We'll see.

2004 Hyundai Elantra GT from North America

Model year2004
Year of manufacture2004
Engine and transmission Manual
Previous carHonda Accord

Summary:

My fake Saab rocks!

My MP3 player didn't seem to be installed properly. The dealer replaced it easily.

The engine stalled on very cold mornings. It would just go a few hundred yards and stall. The dealer is currently working on this problem as they've never heard of it before. It's getting to be seriously annoying. I just want a car that drives in the winter. It's not too much to ask.

General Comments:

99% of the time I LOVE this car.

The trunk is freaking huge. The backseat is very roomy. The driver's seat is perfect for me.

I've fallen in love with the MP3 player and the sunroof. (Options I couldn't afford otherwise)

Review Date: 26th December, 2004

27th Dec 2004, 09:49

Still trying to figure out what possible connection there would be between your Hyundai and any SAAB model?

3rd Jan 2005, 11:36

The Elantra GT 5 door hatchback has been compared to the last generation Sabb Hatchback. The two cars look similar to each other. That is why this owner used the term "My Fake Sabb Rocks." I hope this clears up any confusion.